Desperate on electric water heater

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Thanks for the reply on the water tank in the loft but I am still lost.
I am not British and it is difficult for me to make the right choice. Living in a flat with no gas I do not know what is best. I have an electric shower and we are 2 people living with usual needs.
My questions are:
Having a night tariff, would it be expensive and/or not enough an electric boiler?
Putting an electric water heater, what would it be the right volume?
Why is it so rare in UK find electric boiler? DO you know any good retailer?
If I buy in Europe, would it work here?

Many thanks I am desperate.

Sponsored Links
electric water heaters cost a lot to run thats why you wont find many (apart from hand heaters)

to buy in europe means you invalidate waranty, (voltage should be same), you incur VAT and import duty on it. (cost goes up) no spares when it goes wrong, it may not comply to our standards, so would be not legal to use.

why not ask gas co for gas, where i used to live they had no gas when i moved in, they had when i moved out, think it was £100, took gas man 2 days to do, dug up path, garden, laid pipe and left it. (no meter)

got gas boiler fitted, and pipe to meter that wasn't there, told gas co, they fitted meter, connected / tested it, all in for initial £100, dont know how much now though.

then i moved in

breezer said:
..to buy in europe means you invalidate waranty,

A point you could argue with the manufacturer, there may be some EC legislation that covers this.

you incur VAT and import duty on it. (cost goes up)

Only if they find it in the boot of your car.... ;)

no spares when it goes wrong

They can be ordered by phone/internet and posted. And anyway, lots of electical manufacturers are pan-European.

it may not comply to our standards, so would be not legal to use.

If it complies to the appropriate EN standards, it should be OK to use it here.

why not ask gas co for gas

He's in a flat - if it's a block with no gas supply then it might cost a fortune to have it put in.

Thanks chaps,

appreciate your comments.
I still need to understand the amount of water (hence the size of the hot water tank) we need.

Me and my girlfriend have one shower each per day (hence no hot water used). Washing up after dinner and twice a week washing machine.

Can i use a 50 litres hot water tank?
Or I need a bigger one (75 or 100 l).

Cheers

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back