diagnostics

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I swapped a skoda with a Peugeot 406, p reg, which I absolutely adore. The problem I had, was that the mileometer and tripometer go back to 000 and the mileage I started with before my trip.
I thought it might have had something to do with the fuses, so I took all the fuses out, put new ones in. Started up the engine, fine. But then I couldn't turn it off. Someone suggested disconnecting the battery, still engine running. Getting panicky, then someone suggested stalling it. Which I did. The lights stayed on and everything not working as it should. So I changed all the fuses back to the old ones, as they were still in good nick and I still had the same problem and the diagnostic light started staying on and yes, the engine wouldn't turn off when I turned back the key.

I am worried that this is all going to cost a bomb and thinking of reluctantly getting rid of the car. i don't want to do this, as I said I love driving the car and is ideal for my 3 dogs.

Please can someone advise anything on the cheap or what it could be.

Sponsored Links
You disconnected the battery and the lights stayed on?

This is a wind up, right?

I assume this is a diesel ? If you have run the engine with the battery disconnected then you could have knackered the alternator. :cry: Start with a diagnostic and/or alternator check.

;)

thanks for that, will do that over the weekend and then get back to you, but yes it is a diesel and yes, someone suggested that i diconnect the battery, because the engine was running even with the key out.

will let you know. ;)

Sponsored Links
If the engine carried on running with all power off it will be the fuel cut off solenoid valve that is probably stuck in the energised position (usually located in the fuel pump). I suggest you get the" Haynes Manual"for for the car,it will help you locate things.

;)

Hi Jonny

Thanks for that, is it easy for a girlie like me to sort out and does it mean that I have to pay for any parts.

thanks

Eloise

Hi Eloise

Not knowing you, I can't comment on your ability to work on cars but I'm sure many "girlies" do have a go. If you feel confident, get the book and go for it, if not, get a "laddie" to take a look for you.

;)

Hi Jonny

thanks for that, but do I need to get a new one, or is it just a case of checking the connection? :rolleyes:

thanks

eloise

Eloise

You need to remove it and test it to see if it's working when you energise it (it works like a plunger that shuts off the fuel supply when you turn the power off) and if need be, replace it. This only stops the engine from running on when you switch off. I think you will need the alternator charge rate checking at a motorist accessory shop that carry out free testing or at a local garage.

;)

Hi Jonny

Thanks for that I will let you know.

You're not a mechanic by any chance are you?

Does this mean I won't need a second mortgage to put car right or think about getting rid of it?

thanks

eloise

Hi Jonny

thanks for all your help, I will let you know what the outcome is.

thanks again

eloise :LOL:

Sponsored Links
Back