Did I just ruin my new carpet? :-(

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Yesterday I got a new carpet put in, and it looked great. Today I brought the sofa back in and now there's a dark line which traces the path of one of the wheels. I thought that the tufts had just been pushed up but after half an hour of cleaning the line remains and the turfs all seem to be going the same. Can anyone help?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
What type of carpet was fitted? The mark will either be

A) dirt
B) material off the caster material itself (unlikely)
C) pressure exerted on the carpet pile

Does the faster or casters have any oily substance on them at all?

Have you vaccumed the area?

Hi

Thanks for replying. It's a mostly polyester carpet, entirely synthetic. Medium domestic.

The casters appear to be clean. Only one of the casters left a track and only when pushed in one direction though (it did a 3 point turn).

I have vacuumed and washed the area, although washing has just made a darker area around the line now that it's dried, which I think is shadow.

Anything I can do?

Sponsored Links
If its not dirt (now sounds unlikely) do the fibres feel different where the mark is compared to other fibres in the immediate area?

It could be possible that the friction of a dragging faster against the 'plastic' fibre has slightly 'melted' the carpet pile resulting in the change of colour/feel/finish

It's hard to stain a 100% man made fibre carpet, so any marks should clean out easily. If the pile feels no different, try some Vanish carpet cleaning foam and a really really good vacuum, if that doesn't work, it would suggest there is damage to the carpet.

In future it might be worth looking at caster glides for the casters, I would recommend Kingston Snap-Fit glides but you still need to be careful dragging furniture on 100% man made fibre because of the heat build up and friction.

Good luck :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back