Didn't think this was possible:

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
A house nearby - a 1940's semi - has had a 2 storey full depth extension on the side of it. Originally it had a pitched 3-sided tiled roof with no gables and two chimney breasts between the houses in the middle of the roof. Their attached neighbours still have. But this house, with its extended roof, now has a gable end, such that they could form a habitable loft space (it has a window in it).

I thought the 4 sides of a pitched roof "support" each other, leaning against one another, thus removing one side of it will cause its opposite side to fall over? And the whole roof would need to be restructured, wouldn't it? On the neighbours side as well?

I have to say also, that it does look a little odd, it would have looked better if the neighbours had the same roof.

Sponsored Links
no this is not the case all thats required is a support for the perlin carrying the roof this could be simply joining another perlin onto the existing and bolting into place

Just had plans approved for exactly what you describe, perfectly acceptable.

I agree with it looking a bit odd, however its the most effective use of the space and also for me anyway, the easier option to build.

Sponsored Links
We are currently building this exact scenario!

The bungalow is a 10m square affair with a bog standard ring purlin hipped roof.

We have gone out 4.8m on the back the full 10m width.

This 10m end is the gable end!! :eek:

Plus, the roof is a 40 degree pitch. I pitched the roof up on Wednesday using 7.2m long rafters. We needed a tower scaffold off the ceiling joists just to reach the ridge. The space within the roof is huge.

We will be building the gable starting Monday, into which the purlin steels will sit. These are 4.7m long heavy b***tards. Can't wait. :rolleyes:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back