Difference between Standard and Planitherm DG

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Sorry if this has been posted before but I can't seem to get a straight answer by searching.

I have a north facing conservatory with the door between the house removed. It is a fantastic living space but can get quite chilly in there.
So I am looking at ways to improve the situation.

I am thinking of upgrading the glazed units to Planitherm or similar and want to know if it will make a significant difference to justify the cost.

A quick summary of my situation is.

North facing 4m X 4.5m Edwardian style conservatory built in 2008.
One side is fitted with 4 panel Bi-fold doors running the entire length.
The remainder has an insulated dwarf wall all round

The glazed areas consist standard 28mm double glazed units of the following sizes (internal bead to internal bead)

8 off 122cm X 73cm windows
2 off 112cm X 63cm opening windows
4 off 180cm X 60cm bi -fold door windows

I've just had the chap round who installed the conservatory in 2008.
I explained about my friends similar sized south facing conservatory with the K glass and the difference I felt compared to ours. He didn't think it would make that much difference by upgrading from standard to thermal glass.

So am I barking up the wrong tree and wasting money or is there big gains to be had?

Also anybody in the trade have a rough idea of costs involved.

Cheers as always

Derek

Sponsored Links
There won't be a huge difference when you upgrade to planitherm.

I've got triple glazed, planitherm, warm edge spacer and gas filled all in a 28mm unit fitted by a Birmingham company.

http://eewindows.co.uk/4_pane_technology.php

Now that was a difference!

Bear in mind half of the heat will be going through the roof. What kind of roof is it?

Blimey, I bet that stuff ain't cheap.

The roof is 25mm 5 wall polycarbonite. I have also fitted Polycool solar inserts which made a huge difference in the summer (when the sun was out)by lowering the temperature by at least 15 - 20degC .

I am looking at this company to do something with the roof:

http://www.roof-revive.co.uk/index.php

Might be cheaper to pull the whole lot down and build an extension :confused:

Blimey, I bet that stuff ain't cheap.

The roof is 25mm 5 wall polycarbonite. I have also fitted Polycool solar inserts which made a huge difference in the summer (when the sun was out)by lowering the temperature by at least 15 - 20degC .

I am looking at this company to do something with the roof:

http://www.roof-revive.co.uk/index.php

Might be cheaper to pull the whole lot down and build an extension :confused:

I'll get a quote for you on Monday based on the sizes above :cool:

Sponsored Links
£1730 all in.

Thats triple.

All toughened, gas filled, warm edge spacer

Cheers chap.

Is that supply and fit or supply only?

I have a local company doing me a quote for standard Planitherm double glazing. Will be interesting to see what that comes in at.

I'll let you know.

Cheers

Derek

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back