digging out to get 6" beneath DPC

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Currently the dpc is about 1" above the outside concrete surrounding my 1908 'villa'. I've dug out to get me the 6" height required, what I'd like to do is spread pea shingle over the clay subsoil, but then I thought, if I do that, during the hot summer, the clay beneath can dry out, shrink n I'm likely to get subsidence. So now I'm thinking I'd better spread concrete all across, that way the ground can't dry out beneath the concrete and I won't have any problems.....................or am I totally wrong and just a big fartypants?

Sponsored Links
My previous house had a trench filled with pea shingle, for exactly the same reasons as you describe. I had no problems with it at all.

I assume after the pea shingle came concrete, which was also 6 inches higher than mine will be, therefore no evaporation.

A pea shingle trench is used in a situation like yours to avoid having to dig out the whole area. Instead you lower the level with a trench maybe 6 inches wide beside the wall and then fill will gravel. This stops any water lying against the house.

Your worries about clay heave and subsidence are totally over the top, it is barely even theoretically possible nevermind practically.

Now write 100 times ' I am a big fartypants'

Sponsored Links
Good man r896, being the fartypants that I am, I've already dug out the 6 inches all the way across. I really don't want to spread concrete over the area, so I'll be buying a jumbo bag of pea shingle then

Also too late now, but you could have just painted some Thompsons (or other clear water repellent) onto the base of the wall 200mm high

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back