dilemma

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have just decided to leave site work and start private work.
I have got 1 big private job ready to start in a couple of weeks, and potentially another straight after, just dot the "i's" and cross the "t's" on that one. Happy days.
But..
Its always all or nothing, I have now been offered a start for another company, on site management.
The bad thing is the travelling, 2 hours per day, plus 10 hours work is 12 hours.
They have offered an hours pay for travelling, and the rate for the job is £18 per hour. I would jump at this usually, but my heart wants to do private work of my own. Probably at first wont earn that money per week, and it will be harder work etc. but I know my job satisfaction is with my own work.
I have done site too long to remember, and now this is my dilemma.
Stay with site, and let people down that wants the private work, or miss an good career opportunity in site management.
What would you fellas do if given that choice?
I have done nothing but think about it for the past couple of days
cheers

:?:

Sponsored Links
i would take the management job without a second thought, (it is what i do at the moment) you comment on 10hr work (paid for) 2hrs travel (1 paid for) if you are self employed you will end up doing more hours that that unpaid, as you sit in the house doing quotes, invoicing odering and everything else that needs done, you have all your on costs for vehicle, fuel, tax PL insurance CORGI fees and retraining etc etc

i have never done site work.

the feeling i get is - head down, mood down, bang the bricks down and little else.

i had to go self employed about 15yrs ago when my old gaffer retired. sure, it was daunting at first but it didn't take long to get into the rhythm.
it is true that the more effort you put in the more you will be rewarded.

i have worked my spuds off most saturday mornings for the first couple of months this year. i have now secured work for 12 months. i can take it easy now and watch the dollars pour in.

i don't know many site boys that have regretted coming off the sites. there is an element of security that you will lose, but in no time you will be wondering why you never did it sooner.

i also must say that being a self employed gaffer requires a certain state of mind. it isn't for everybody. a lad i trained up went his own way but couldn't quite cut the mustard. he is off the tools now and selling them instead!

you need to be bothered to get up on your days off and go meet new people and convince them you are the man for the job. folks are putting their trust in you and are spending a lot of money in some cases. i block book each customer and devote my time to ONE job only. either subsequent customers are prepared to wait for us or they are not. i refuse to run jobs concurrently.

in agreement with noseall 100%. Thats exactly my feelings and exactly how we work. The customers like it and it keeps them coming back.

It just depends how motivated you are. Its very easy to sit where you are comfortable. You never now what you can do until you try, but it is hard work. My companys been going for 5 years now and we are starting to reap the rewards of those first years hard work, as we get bigger and so do the pay cheques.

Sponsored Links
In my case i find being able to do what i want and to a reasonable extent when i want is the biggest benefit, without someone looking over your shoulder. luckily i am in a position where money is not my goal which helps.

all the above are right in their views.
the big question has not been asked. it nice to be in business for yourself, i've done it most of my life.
BUT if you are high blood pressured, like your weekends, like friends over once in awhile and most of all kiss your wife and kids goodbye for the first year or more.
If this is the case take the management job and keep one eye on your dream it will happen if it's right.

be your own boss.
there are frustrations as a self employed person or on site, they are just different.
i think you need to look in the mirror and think' can this bloke sell himself' or could he learn too.
these are the people who do best imo.

theres a lot said about how hard it is to run your own business but a lot of that is because these people need/want that next job. the need is for themselves' rather than for commercial reasons.

if you're your own boss then ultimately it is you who should decide how much work/ hours you do.
i think you've had good advice on this thread.

let us know what you decide :)

Thanks for all replies lads.
I have turned down the site management, and I am sticking to what I intended to do, my private work.
I used to do private work, early ninetees, but recession dried up the work, and I been back on site since.
As said, I was gathering jobs under my belt to start, and have work laid out in front for when I left site.
I cant let these customers down.
I am at a time in life where weekly wage banging them in, is not so important, and happiness at work is priority.
I could have been in a shirt and tie today :rolleyes:
But instead I been taking down, then putting up a ceiling, and plastering it, love it. Customer comes home, and full of praise looks lovely, that's when its worth it.
Starting a double decker extension in a weeks time :)

nice feeling when the cheque comes through and you think, yeah i earnt that!

Good for you, not everyone is cut out to do it or wants to take the risk, but i take my hat off to anyone that gives it a try.

Cant beat the feeling of a happy customer. We are doing a job at the moment, finishing off a garden for a women who lost her husband recently. SHe keeps coming out saying how wonderful it is, and cant do enough for us. Makes you feel good, even though you are earning the money from doing it, and happily doing little extras that you wont charge for.

Sponsored Links
Back