Dimmer burn out

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We had a 2 gang 2 way dimmer. It had been in for 6 months. Then it over heated. I replaced it and the next one did the same. Live went into common, L1 out to 3*40W lamps. Cross wire to common on other switch L1 out to 2*40W lamps. Its the 2 lamp dimmer that burns out, is it because the lamps are only 40W and when the dimmer is less than half on the resistor has too much to do? I've wired it with an ordinary switch and that works fine. It's all abit tight in the box I did wonder if it was just a short? I did also wonder about changing to a switched neutral? Dimmers whilst not being expensive aren't cheap to go through at the rate I'm going through them, anyone got any thoughts? Can I get dimmers that work below 40W?

Sponsored Links
modern dimmers do not have a resistor to dim the load, it sounds like a cheap brand of dimmer, dimmers should work for years at any setting, do your lamps blow often? and you havent got any low voltage lights on it too have you?

Thanks for the reply. No just the 2*40w, they were TLC dimmers. How would I know a good one from a cheap one? The lamps are a max 40W so (excuse the ignorance) is that low voltage?
Thanks again for taking the time to reply - much appreciated.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back