Dimmer Question Again (sorry)

In realtion to meters, this one is very popular over here for domestic electricians. It sells at about €140 incl. VAT (about £85). Also below is the fluke "voltalert" volt stick (non-contact phase tester) €19

T5-1000-L3-1.JPG

images

Sponsored Links
BR said:
As long as you brought it up, I would definitely not recommend using this particular probe to verify the power is OFF. Only use it to verify the power is ON. It's not fail-safe. A dozen things can make the little light fail to come on, even if there is voltage on the wire you're testing.

That said, it is a very convenient little gadget for seeing through insulation and a quick verification that you have power. But I wouldn't trust my health or well-being to the fact that a little light didn't come on.

I agree totally with what you are saying yankysparky, although in general I find this one pretty reliable. paticularly useful when you are faced with a switch drop full of wires and you are trying identifie each one.

Sponsored Links
Got one, after my 24/7 partying season last year (ask masona !) the light would come on when I picked it up (D.T.'s ??) ;)

The tip will glow if you create static with it (e.g. rub it on you jumper) but thats about it. I can bang mine off the table no problem. Dosn't even flash. You can also get one's that bleep as well as light up.

JJ10,
The slave only has two connections, L and S so connect up the incoming 'LIVE' to L on the dimmer (thats normally the RED WIRE) and connect up either the BLUE or YELLOW wire to S on the SLAVE which incidentally goes to S on the MASTER

The output from your MASTER should go to the switched live and onto your LOAD ie Lights nand the neutral side from the lights back to mains neutral ok?

Hope this helps but if you are unsure ask a qualified electrician to check it as the system is electronic and you dont want to do any unnecessary, expensive damage.

FFS Alexiey, this is getting beyond a joke.

It's now the 4th time in 6 posts you've pulled a stunt like this.

Do you really think that after over 8 years JJ10 is still wondering how to wire up his dimmer switch?

PLEASE STOP REPLYING TO OLD TOPICS!.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back