Dimmer Switch has only L1 & L2 - No Common or ~ symbols-

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi i'm a fairly competant home sparks but this has foxed me.

New dimmer switch only has 2 terminals on a 1-gang dimmer.
But there is no common or load markings - it was from a good on-line wholesaler but no instructions as always to check anything.

Could someone let me know if its an anyway round unit or should I go for the load/lights on L2 and the common on L1

Thanks Rich

Sponsored Links
Hi again,
decided as its getting dark to go for it and I'm pleased to say it works as L1 common and L2 as load.

I'm glad really, as its the last job of the day and I didn't want to climb around in the loft replacing the wires if they were fried again if it was the wrong way round.

My last dimmer was MK soft-start with a tome of instructions, but at £30 to replace I went for the cheaper option.

Thanks for looking, RT

Have you worked out how long it will take shortened lamp life to eat up the saving?

Sponsored Links
Hi I was just looking at your comments on other threads ( freaky)

You make a very good point, I know the soft start are great in making the bulbs last longer and I wish we could make more of a public awareness campaign over them, something for MK marketing team.

This switch does come on low, as its got 9 x 50w GU10's on the circuit to warm up before full power. The family has instructions to turn the lamps on low for a second to warm them up before they put them on full.

I just wish there was a really good energy saving replacement, I have tried countless GU10 11watt bulbs and hate the delay in getting them warmed up, but they are not very pleasant in a bedroom, at least with the halogens they warm up the room as well ( and the loft, and the passage between next door and their bedroom and....... )

Thanks for your comments Rich

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back