Dinning room and living room becoming one big room

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Can someone help me with this. I have had a price to install a beam between rooms and remove walls and plaster the pad stones. It going to cost £1176

Design of beam size and strapping detail £156.00
Cost of building notice and inspection fee paid to town hall £80.00
Cost for building works £940.00.

Total cost of works £1176.00

I nearly died when I saw this price as half the work is already done, as we would like it to be opened more
Is this rip off or not

Sponsored Links
Can someone help me with this. I have had a price to install a beam between rooms and remove walls and plaster the pad stones. It going to cost £1176

Design of beam size and strapping detail £156.00
Cost of building notice and inspection fee paid to town hall £80.00
Cost for building works £940.00.

Total cost of works £1176.00

I nearly died when I saw this price as half the work is already done, as we would like it to be opened more
Is this rip off or not

think thats quite fair to be honest, get 1 or 2 more quotes to compare and see how they match up

all the best

To be honest that sounds about right, its not just a case of smashing bricks out. What you have to consider is that the job is highly skilled as your whole upper house is resting on the beam. Get it wrong and....
Be very careful who you employ for this work as if you get a quote for £600 you could well be tempted but cheapest is not always the best.

Its a good job I didn't quote otherwise u would be brown bread! If he's a reputable builder he will have other overheads, insurance, tax, fuel, parking etc. Don't think all that cash is going straight in his pocket. :rolleyes:

Sponsored Links
Had someone round with another price today and didn't like this idea. He said his labour is £470.

He told me to buy the rsj which he was going to buy from his mates account at tp's and supply all the materials our selfs.

He also said it would cost to much to go through building control and he was going to put a large beam up as it would cost to much using a structural engineer to calculate it

Did not like the sound of this guy.

Wise move, like i said in my other post dont be tempted for the cheap quotes especially on a job like this. Its not like painting a wall then if it goes wrong you paint it again. This has to be correct inly the once!

What area are form, see if we can help you out....

Had someone round with another price today and didn't like this idea. He said his labour is £470.

He told me to buy the rsj which he was going to buy from his mates account at tp's and supply all the materials our selfs.

He also said it would cost to much to go through building control and he was going to put a large beam up as it would cost to much using a structural engineer to calculate it

Did not like the sound of this guy.
He sounds like a dissaster in the making.. best avoid.. get a few more quotes..

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back