Diplomat oven door hinges problems.....

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Guys, first time poster, hopefully this post belongs in this forum.

Anyway, I moved into my place about 3 years ago, there was a brand new diplomat oven in the kitchen. No serial code etc so im not entirely sure which one.

Anyway, over the last year iv noticed the door not shutting correctly, and when it is in the open position it seemed to drop below the 90degree level. Yesterday, i opened the door and the hinges didnt stop it, it dropped below the normal horizontal until it was resting on the floor.

I called up the mfi home care people, they need to know firstly the make, and then they'll charge me £75 for a visit and then parts on top of that.

Three questions, is there any serial guide anywhere so i can identify the oven, its a small, electric oven, only one knob on the left hand side, no fancy clocks or anything.

Second question, does it sound as if this is a hinge problem, or could there be other problems within the door?

Third question, is it easy to fix myself if i can source replacement hinges on the internet?

Any help and advice would be most appreciated.

Many thanks
Chris

Sponsored Links
yep sounds like they are gone first you need a model number and serial number ,they change part numbers thats why ,then you can google it and are very easy to fit cost about 20 for a pair.model no is down by the door if not you will have to pull it out

Thanks for that, theres definatley no serial/model number on the door or inside of the cooker.

Forgive the question, but how easy is it usually to slide these units out? Bearing in mind it is a built in appliace? Do i need to take any precautions? Obviously its going to be 'wired in' somewhere at the back, am i going to disconect it all by sliding it out a little?

As you can tell, i have next to no experience with cookers, save for chaining the girlfriend to it. ;)

open the door and in each corner is a screw 4 altogether then unit slides out if it snags then the power lead is caught on something ,you must find model no or ur out of luck

Sponsored Links
Ok, ive got the model number, hinges came in the post yesterday, one problem, they appear to be locked in the door closed position, which is no good for attaching the door to the cooker. Any ideas?????

put them apart they are under load ,also check the end is there a locking pin

put them apart they are under load ,also check the end is there a locking pin

Not really sure what you are telling me to do here? Physically try and rip the hinge open?

This is what the type of hinge looks like......

OHINGELHA.jpg
[/img]

the end piece with the u shape on it goes into the cooker and the long arm pulls down .its spring loaded going by the black spring its gonna be well stiff , screw the hindge on the door first and hook the end in the cavity of cooker

I'll have a go at that right now, although in my head im thinking it will need to be in a half open position first before you can angle it in when it's attached to the door, i'll have a go though and post any progress

once the hindge is fitted to door offer it to the cooker in the shut postion and push the bottom hindge in ,open the door and the bottom will lock into cooker cavity.when you open it up it will stiff like is surposed to be

Its a physical imposibility mate, the reciever isn't tall enough to take the hinge in the closed position, it would need to be open to slide it in and angle it properly, the 'service' position that is refered to in the manual for removing and attaching the door is in a sort of 45degree angle.

Looks like im going to have to phone a professional out, which is a pain in the arse because it is very easy to fit the hinge onto the door.

the second pic has the locking pin in , it it upclips the pin is on the first one but the second one shows it open .trust me it unclips .flick the pin/link upwards its on the bottom joint and then hooks in

Those catches are for attaching the door, notopening the hinges, however.......................

I used a claw hammer on the hinges and whala, they opened no problem. As soon as i got the hinges in the correct position, replaceing them and fitting the door took less than 10 minutes!

Beauty!

Thanks for the help mate.

Cheers

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back