Dipping toe into painting

Sponsored Links
You've answered your own comment about water in the paint then. Unless you've got a suitable separator fitted.

No water in my lines, despite you saying I've got water in my paint.

You're not yet the expert you think you are. I'm no expert with paint or spraying but I know enough to be laughing at you

In that you're putting far more money, time, and effort than I am, into both (y)
I didn't see you put anything in apart from sniping posts from the corner. Why can't a man put in time and money that are his to put in? Some people are a bit strange and over concerned with other people's time and money. I do my stuff for fun and the money and time are worth it. Not to mention that often I get a direct monetary return from the money conserved.

Sponsored Links
Armed with greater knowledge and experience, I am better placed to choose the right equipment. So, I have ordered a china r100 LVLP gun. It's the baby brother of the r500. If I knew better at the beginning, I would have gone for the r100. The r500 isn't a total mistake and can be made to work. In fact, I will be using it until the r100 arrives. I will now have a full line up of possible tip sizes: 2.0, 1.7, 1.5, 1.3, 1.0, 0.8, and whatever is on my air brush.

r100.png

Standard Nozzle:φ0.8mm
Optional nozzle:φ0.8φ1.0mm
Operating Pressure:2.0-3.5bar
Pattern Width:100-150mm
Air Consumption:2.4-3.3cfm
Paint Capacity:125cc

It's an unbelievable clear coating day today, but I am not ready to clear. Will be priming.

clear-window.png

I took my car in for a respray in December. Hopefully they’ll start it next week when the weather improves………

I took my car in for a respray in December. Hopefully they’ll start it next week when the weather improves………
If your body shop is so good, why are you hanging around a beginner's painting thread? I reckon you are here to pick up all the tips.

Beginner?

I thought you were expert now.
More expert than people who have water related problems. I still have no water trouble. Even the line itself is bone dry. No water from tank draining either. When I saw water, It might have something to do with the weather.

Last edited:
The priming was a partial success. The failed part was from the prep. I had a couple of paint "steps" showing through - broken old paint was not feathered flat enough.

The paint monkeys gave me white primer when I ordered grey. Again, I struggled to see the test fan pattern, on white newspaper.

Priming was done using 1.3mm tip, 1.5 bar, max fan. The fan pattern was tiny at fluid flow of one turn from closed. I used 2 turns from closed, which gave me a 10cm fan height at a wet-able distance. After much head scratching in post-job analysis, I realised the flow had to be increased further.

There was no dust problems. I had 1 speck that was swept off by finger nail. The primer must have dried quickly when the dust landed.

The primer was runny and heavy. I was unable to use a pipette to transfer it properly. So, I have no idea how much was used. I guestimate about 50ml would be needed. The primer was strained easily using 250 micron filter.

Last edited:
More expert than people who have water related problems. I still have no water trouble. Even the line itself is bone dry. No water from tank draining either. When I saw water, It might have something to do with the weather.
Yep. Expert

Sponsored Links
Back