Directional Tyres

The flipping tyre was stabbed .....

IMG_20230801_094530_HDR.jpg

Sponsored Links
Beat me to it, Bernard.

After all, there would be little point in "advising the presenter", unless there was some negative effect from the fitting.
There is no chart to give such advice.

The mot tester can ONLY follow the manual when inspecting a car. Personal thoughts have nothing to do with the test.

Can lose testing licence for giving out false information or advice on matters like that.

Doesn't mean I have to agree with the manual

My rear wheels go round the opposite way to the front!

The mot tester can ONLY follow the manual when inspecting a car. Personal thoughts have nothing to do with the test.

Can lose testing licence for giving out false information or advice on matters like that.

We got an advisory on the Honda....all 4 tyres close to the legal limit (1.6mm).

There was 4 - 5 mm all round!

Sponsored Links

I didn't say there was.

I was commenting on safety. Which - along with insurance implications - was the OP's opening post.

See previous.

I'm heartened that you have professional concern for your customer's safety, above and beyond "what the manual says".
However, I didn't introduce, nor comment on, "the manual".

From the mot testing manual...

Asymmetric tyres are marked with correct fitment information on the sidewall, such as ‘outside’. However, if an asymmetric tyre is fitted the wrong way around it is not to be considered a reason for rejection. The presenter should be advised.
There's a difference between unidirectional tyres and ones marked "outside" (like mine). With the latter, you can't turn them round on the wheel (to equalise wear) but you can change them from one side of the car to the other.

The breakdown guy said this was dangerous and the car should not be driven until it is sorted.
Not true. My lad had directional tyres on his Audi Black Edition. He questioned this when he had a tyre fitted and was told it isn't a problem, but you won't get the full benefit of the tyre design. When he told me that I didn't believe it so we looked it up - and it turns out to be completely correct. Not dangerous.

There's a difference between unidirectional tyres and ones marked "outside" (like mine). With the latter, you can't turn them round on the wheel (to equalise wear) but you can change them from one side of the car to the other.
Asymmetrical or directional.

Agree. Mot manual is slightly confusing but differentiates

Directional will fail if wrong. Asymmetrical will only be an advise

Last edited:
At worse, it will only be affected in the rain. If concerned, treat it as a temporary spare like you would with one of those temporary skinny spares and limit your speed to 50mph like it says on the side of those temporary spares.

I bought some directional tyres, I must’ve put ‘em on the wrong way round as my car only goes backwards now

Sponsored Links
Back