Directional Tyres

Sponsored Links
Tyres

When you present a car for SVA you have to state the top speed of the car

So if you turned up with the latest
Ultima R/S your tyres would have to be capable of 200mph

If you turned up with tyres speed rated to 150 you would fail the test

Some American tyre imports such as good ridge or cooper May also fail as they don’t have relevant European / Uk markings on them ???

A bit worn on the edges, but don't they go off the central portion?
It's the central 3/4 that's important for traad death yes, and edges can be tread free. But it would be sensible to advise if so.

But the advise should clearly say edge(s), inner or outer

Sponsored Links
A bit worn on the edges, but don't they go off the central portion?
There's what the manual says....

The primary grooves of the tread pattern must be at least 1.6mm deep within the central three-quarters of the breadth of tread and around the entire outer circumference of the tyre (see diagram 1).

Either side of the central three-quarters of the tyre can be devoid of tread (‘bald’).

Me and number two son went out and swapped some tyres around.

Sadly the wheel locking nut key cracked and will not loosen the last one, so we gave up on the last one.
They're a pain the arse.
Then we went to correct the pressures.

So he's had a good lesson, including tightening up wheel nuts in a diagonal pattern and putting new tread on the rear, not the front.

IMG_20230801_183825_HDR.jpg

Sadly the wheel locking nut key cracked and will not loosen the last one, so we gave up on the last one.
They're a pain the arse.
There's usually a local mobile "locking wheel nut removal" service in the phone book.
They hammer a socket over the buggered wheel nut.

Can't believe I agree with Freddy Mercury's Twink, but only girls should call out breakdown services to fit their spare wheel. But that's the youth of today, I suppose.
Obviously being in the motor trade, I change my own wheels at the roadside if/when I get a puncture but it ain’t no fun changing a 20” Range Rover wheel in the dark on your way to a restaurant when you're dressed in your best clobber. Nowdays, along with the Jack, wheelbrace and spare wheel, I carry a strong pair of gloves, a torch and a disposable pair of overalls!

Obviously being in the motor trade, I change my own wheels at the roadside if/when I get a puncture but it ain’t no fun changing a 20” Range Rover wheel in the dark on your way to a restaurant when you're dressed in your best clobber. Nowdays, along with the Jack, wheelbrace and spare wheel, I carry a strong pair of gloves, a torch and a disposable pair of overalls!

In fairness I would say that unless you have a long breaker bar, a breakdown service may be needed if the wheel nuts were last air wrenched on. The standard wheel brace supplied with the spare often doesn't give enough leverage. A long breaker bar is a useful addition to the list of extras carried. I try to remember to crack my nuts :oops: after visiting a garage/tyre centre and do them up to a more sensible torque. Then if I need to change a wheel at the roadside, I'm in with a chance.

Friends in SA had a flat in Kruger Park a few years ago. Said they managed a change quicker than in the F1 pits.

I had a locking bolt that had rounded so the tool kept jumping off. I parked next to a wall and used the jack sideways between the wall and the top of the wrench, to press it horizontally hard onto the nut while I turned the wrench. I got it super-tight, then slackened slightly to give just enough slack so I could turn it, then kept slackening a bit at a time while the bolt came out.

I've had directional tyres before, these days I just avoid them completely. I fail to see the point, I've never fallen off the road while driving on non-directional tyres, and they all pass whatever tests and reviews they do. I understand the intended point of them, but wonder if they're more about cosmetics than anything else - I wonder whether people just think the arrow pattern looks nice or makes the car look fast or something, like a pretend racing car.

There's usually a local mobile "locking wheel nut removal" service in the phone book.
They hammer a socket over the buggered wheel nut.
Watched a vid on YT of the same. I am considering bashing them all off and replacing the original nuts. Are people still nicking alloys these days?

Alternatively, could a tyre fitter use the broken locking wheel nut key with an air wrench to a greater degree of success?

Sponsored Links
Back