Disconnect gas cooker temporarily

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I want to replace the flooring in the kitchen, I'm laying some of the click together laminate stuff.
Is it pretty safe to disconnect the stove so I can move it, and then reconnect it afterwards, obviously I would turn off the gas supply to the house first?
Is their any special precautions I should take when reconnecting it, to make sure it seals properly?

MOD

moved as posted in wrong forum

Sponsored Links
If you are talking about a free standing gas cooker on a flexi hose and bayonet fitting then yes you can do it they are designed to be removed by the user for cleaning. The hose plugs in like a light bulb and you dont even need to turn the gas off.

Then you went and confused the issue by using the word stove.
If it is a stove with any sort of a flue pipe or rigid gas supply then the answer is a rather large NO

has it got one of these fitted
0621.gif

Sponsored Links
The bayonet fittings do sometimes leak when disconnected.
Would be wise to turn off supply until you have finished your job. :D

Looks a bit like that yeah, so you say don't touch it?, makes it hard to do all the floor don't it

This is the sort you can do yourself Turning the gas off may necessitate re-lighting pilots.

It has been known for these fittings to leak but usually in my experience only when they have been fitted upside down and dirt has got in them.

Support the bayonet fitting when you disconnect the hose from it.
They do tend to be stiff to get out. I usually lubricate them with a bit of silicone grease before re-fitting as other grease may attack the rubber. I have used vegetable oil and margarine when I have been really desperate. but I suggest you just try cleaning it with soapy water first

I guess I haven't really interpreted the picture properly, because on mine you definitely need to unscrew the thing, so I'm assuming it is unwise to touch it. :(

No, nothing like that really, all copper pipe and fittings by the look of it. :(

show him a mircopoint connector kev it could be one of them :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back