Discovered bitumen layer under carpet, can I float a floor?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello guys,

Well, I was just about to place my order for 17m2 of engineered wood planks (click system installation) but decided to pull up some of the carpet tonight to discover old thin black tiles stuck to the concrete floor with a thin layer of what appears to be a black bitumen adhesive.

The tiles are very easily lifting off and the adhesive is completely dry, no tackyness whatsoever.

My question is, can I float an engineered wood floor over the top of this (after fitting a suitable underlay of course) or does this adhesive layer need stripping, in which case I think i'll have to change my plans and go for carpet :(

Your advice would be appreciated.

Thank you

Claire.

Sponsored Links
Make sure you use an underlayment that has a DPM in it. To be honest, it's better to leave the tiles where they are, if they are really thin and level

Sponsored Links
I can be honest or I can give you a rant about Flooringsupplies - which would be honest too ;)

But it would be a right product

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back