Dishonest Car Dealer

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My son recently travelled to view a car he wanted at a dealers and which he subsequently bought. He was given a verbal 6 months warranty. 2 weeks after buying it the exhaust backbox split and needed renewing. So he could use the car I bought him a backbox and I fitted it for him (good old dad) He then contacted the dealer who eventually reluctantly agreed to send a cheque for that amount but which never arrived. Despite several phone calls later during which the dealer always gave excuses and promises of reimbursement, there was still no cheque so my son persisted but the dealer is now not answering his calls. He is now texting the dealer but is not receiving anything back. How does he stand and what would you do ?

Sponsored Links
As the exhaust is what would be classed as a "service item" (i.e. it is an item which would normally require replacement one or more times during the life of the vehicle) I would suggest that this would not be an item which would be covered under warranty. If it had fallen off on the way home, it is possible that a claim against the dealer might have been successful, but after two weeks, no.

iirc any car bought with a warranty,under the sale of goods act you have 28 days to notify the supplying dealer of any faults as it is not fit for purpose,AND he has to rectify them.this does not mean using the warranty at all.
did it have a new mot on time of purchase?if not why not.
look on google for your rights on buying a 2nd hand car,theres lots of info.
i ive just found for you,
http://www.oft.gov.uk/OFTwork/consumer-protection/campaign11-12/kycr/buying-a-used-car/#.UsXTV7R5EZw

i had to go down this route a few years ago when i bought a car,in the end with the info i gained from my research it cost the supplying dealer over 3k to rectify the problems on the car and the higher car i had to have while repairs were carried out :LOL: and once the car was given back to me I still had the years warranty left on it.

Sponsored Links
Back