Dishwasher and using all in one tablets query

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

Recently noticed that our Smeg dishwasher didn't seem to be dispensing rinse aid - usually needs topping up once a month but not needed for a while and also noticed glasses were looking a bit more misty than usual.

Called out an engineer as we have appliance cover and he said that with the All in One tablets, I should not be topping up the rinse aid nor even the salt as this causes 'overdosing' and I should run down the salt until the red light comes on and not top it back up.

Seemed a bit strange to me given I have seen on the back of the packets of some all in one brands that it also recommends using rinse aid and salt alongside the tablets.

Just looking for a second opinion.

Sponsored Links
You will greatly shorten the life of your dw if you don't use salt, especially in a hard water area

What do smeg, and the instructions of the machine say ?
The engineer was sent from Smeg (albeit I assume he was a subcontractor). The instructions naturally say to use salt as it softens the water. But the engineer was saying the salt in the all-in-one tabs is enough and adding salt and using all-in-ones causes too much salt in the water during a cycle.

Sponsored Links
I'd follow the nanufacturers instructions over a subcontractor.

Always used salt. Rinse and, and similar tablets in all mine without issue

According to Bosch

The tablets alone are sufficient if you live in a soft water area. If a hard water, use salt.

I made the mistake of not using salt in our first dw, it lasted 2 years, the successor model lasted 10 years with salt. Water is full of impurities/scale etc.

We had the same problem where I work, the water is treated as it fills the tower for our engines, but the visiting engine had the water treated in the engine, so we could not refill it from the tower.

I seem to remember when we got our dish washer new, there was some thing which tested the water and we had to set the dose based on the results, I have never re-tested, but unless it is tested the dose is clearly a bit hit and miss. I looked at the instructions 1707124554286.png and it tests water out of the tap not water after the dish washing tablet has been dispensed. So it would be impossible to calibrate allowing for the stuff in the tablet, and clearly tablets would need to be designed for your area, not read the dish washer tablet box, but do not remember seeing any reference as to if for hard or soft water areas.

So I would select a half way approach, and set the dose lower than the chart says, however reading the instructions it does refer to having the combined tablets, it says "These tablets show their effects up to a certain water hardness level (21°dH)." so reading the instructions it does tell one at what point to use salt when combined with the tablet.

The problem is of the 45 page instructions, a big hunk is about heath and safety which to most people is so common sense that we simply give up reading the instructions. In my case 12 pages about how to fit a plug etc, so by time it has reached how to set the dosing I have given up reading them.

did he check if the rinse aid was being released ??? and fix that ?

maybe run a few times with nothing in and see what happens to the rinse aid - We use all-in-1 tablet from lidl W5 and also rinse aid and salt , and the dishwasher must be well over 10+ years old now at least. We are a very hard water area , taps get all limescalled up after a few days , if not kept clean
Runs out of rinse aid and salt , even with the tablet

Finish is supposed to be one of the better allin-1 products and they say
Rinse aid is required to:

• Ensure spot-free, shiny dishes
  • Assist the drying function
Salt is required to:

• protect your machine from limescale
  • soften the water for better cleaning
With multi-benefit tablets such as Finish Quantum Ultimate and Finish All in One, rinse aid and salt functions are included. However, in very hard water areas we also recommend the use of separate Salt and Rinse aid products to protect your machine and achieve the best result.
so i would take more notice of the tablet manufacturer personally

People say funny things, a neighbour had a new condensing boiler installed a few years back and on asking the gas safe registered plumber how frequently it should be serviced he was told it didn't need to be serviced.

People say funny things, a neighbour had a new condensing boiler installed a few years back and on asking the gas safe registered plumber how frequently it should be serviced he was told it didn't need to be serviced.
Speaking to my boiler man as it was being "serviced" he said something similar in that there is nothing really to "service" gas flows are checked and a knob tweaked if necessary, is that a service - not like my old gas back boiler and fire that needed brush and a vacuum cleaner to service it.

i was told the same at old house when a new boiler installed , even though to keep the 2year warrant had to be serviced in 1st year, on paper work
the one had a few months ago , said yep , filter needs a clean = plus to keep warranty - only £45

Yes, that's a rather strange answer from a certified plumber.

Wonder if they like to call it a service so they can charge more when all that can be done to them really is a check on the gas outputs and turn a screw to adjust. Rather than a service its a safety check perhaps so technically not a service - don't know.

The guy who said he would service boiler never turned up last year, we got it serviced when we first moved in, fuel filters, new jets etc. But he said as to what is done depends on what his meters say, if it can be adjusted to within spec no jets required, only if can't be adjusted will he change a jet.

Old gas boiler got is serviced after first 25 years, but sprang a leak before it had done second 25 years, so only did around 40 years.

But dish washers don't seem to last as long, first one we got around 1980, I said she could have a dish washer as long as I did not have to do dishes, she said that deal was cancelled when I retired, not sure if this is number 3 or 4 so it seems around 10 years life. North and Mid Wales not very hard water, so not a big deal as far as salt etc.

But there was a kit with the machine, but don't know how to measure without the kit, a google shows £4 to £6 for a kit, but a google also says "What kind of water is in Wales?

Water is a natural product and different sources have a different mix of minerals and salts which determine if your water is soft or hard. Your usual supply from Wales is moderately soft and the temporary source is harder, so depending on use, appliances may need additional cleaning."

So not really worried.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back