Dishwasher filling up

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
The bottom of my dishwasher slowly fills with water even when turned off at the mains, then the pump switches on and won't turn off. The drain and pipe are clear as far as I can see, any help or ideas??

Sponsored Links
When you say turned off at the mains I assume you mean no water to the appliance. If so the only place water can come from is the waste, is it plumbed into the sink trap? If so it may be syphoning back into the machine when the sink is used.
There is often a non return device in the connection which may be stuck and as a rule the waste hose must rise to a height above the level where it enters the sink trap and drop down to the connection, to stop water running back.

Hope that makes sense :D

did you mean the water turned off, or did you mean the electricity turned off?

where was it turned off?

is the water clear and perfectly clean?

The water is turned off at the stop cock so no water should be going into the machine, the power is still on and the water looks slightly dirty.
Over night the machine did not seem to fill but during the day it has, I'm wondering if your right about pulling water in from the sink waste as we used it during the day, if this is the case what needs to be done. Its a Miele about 6 years old and its integrated. Many Thanks

Sponsored Links
look at the waste hose where it connects to the sink trap.

It must loop up so the top of the loop is higher than the water level in the sink when it is full. This can be done by clipping or tying the hose to the underside of the worktop, or by leading the hose through a hole right at the top of the side wall of the sink unit.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back