Dishwasher or switch goosed??

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Came home today to find the dishwasher appeared dead. It got me thinking, I turned it on a couple of nights ago and later that eve I smelt a funny fishy smell (not the first time I have smelt it) I know that often that is associated with an electrical switch over heating and melting. I searched a few locations but did not find anything. On inspecting the isolator/power switch for the dishwasher I noticed that there is a bulge and a small area that looks like it has melted internally about 1cm above the actual on/off switch.

I assume that quite possibly the dishwasher is ok and this switch is the problem. A few questions:

1. Why is this likely to have happened?
2. Would this not cause the main fuse breaker to trip?
3. The house was completely re-wired 3 yrs ago - should this have happened so soon?
4. The electrician who does all my work is due to collect some money from me this week and I am wondering what to say to him about this.
5. I am concerned this could have caused a more serious issue and a I am not too impressed given the investment in all new electrics - is that fair or do these things sometimes just happen ?
6. Is it likely to have caused any damage to the dishwasher?

Appreciate any thoughts you all have.

Sponsored Links
1. Overheating, caused by defective switch, loose wire(s), overloading, all of the above.
2. Not unless the damage caused a fault between two of the wires inside, which is very unlikely.
3. Items can break and fail at any time. Unfortunately with the quest for cheapness, many items are not made to last.
4. Have the switch replaced. Switches are cheap and it's 5 minutes to fit a new one.
5. As 3 - switches can fail, or terminals may have not been tightened enough in the first place, or one of the terminal screws was defective, or there was some internal fault with the switch, various possibilities. Either way, it's broken now.
6. Highly unlikely.

That fishy smell is a sure sign that there is a bad connection. Start at where the dishwasher plugs in (ie the socket) and look at the wiring connections.

Spmewhere you'll find a burnt/melted wire.
You'll need to cut the insulation back to bright copper, and replace the socket/switch that will also now not be useable.

That fishy smell is a sure sign that there is a bad connection. Start at where the dishwasher plugs in (ie the socket) and look at the wiring connections. Spmewhere you'll find a burnt/melted wire.
The OP has already identified a semi-molten 'isolator/switch' - I wouldn't think that he needs to look any further for the source of the fishy smell, does he?

Kind Regards, John

Sponsored Links
Thanks gents for the responses. I have very little understanding of the cause and implication of electrical issues, so I was unsure if these things just happen or if there is a greater underlying concern in regards to this. Hopefully I have been able to identify the issue and I will check the state of the cables and change the switch, fingers crossed there is no other damage and the dishwasher will be up and up running in no time.

look at the ends of the wires carefully. You may find the insulation is heat damaged and the copper is discoloured. You can cut away damaged insulation, and even buy heat-resistant sleeving to slip over it, but you ought to cut back the heated copper as it will have softened and will not make a good connection when you fit your new FCU. If you are lucky there will be enough slack cable to reach the terminals even when you have cut it back.

Post some photos when you take the FCU off. Turn off the power and test for dead first. A neon screwdriver is not a suitable tool.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back