Disposing of Heating Oil Tanks

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've recently changed from oil to gas ch. I am left with two large metal oil storage tanks with oil sludge in the bottom. How do I get rid of them? I assume I can't take an angle grinder to them without blowing myself up. Is there anything I can do myself or will I need a waste company to do it (for large fee)? Any ideas of the type of company (or any companies you know that do it - my nearest town is Nuneaton, near Coventry/Leicester) or about how much to pay? Many thanks for any help anyone can give.

Sponsored Links
"Is there anything I can do myself or will I need a waste company to do it" is what I was asking. This is my first posting, please be gentle.

Sponsored Links
Take no notice of kev, you can do it yourself.

First build a cleaning area (concrete with a fall to a drain with holding tank for the waste). A 200 gallon capacity should do. Next buy a lorry so you can suck the waste sump out and take the contents to the hazardous waste tip.

You will need a licence for transporting the waste liquid.

For cleaning the tank you will need a suitable degreaser if you have sludge to remove. To find out if you have sludge, you will need to cut the tank open. A power shear which can handle 4mm or maybe 6mm plate will help. The tank will have to be cut into flat plates before the recycling tip will accept it. You may be able to find space on your tanker lorry to transport it.

The alternative is to talk around and find someone to do it all for you. Cost around £100. They might be a bit dearer, but Fuel Energy Services in Uttoxeter will probably be able to help. (Usual disclaimers apply)

ok.gif

Perhaps I wont try the angle grinder then. Thanks Guys.

cut a square hole in the top about 700 x 1000, Bury it in the garden, give it a clean, fit a stair case, a wooden floor, electricity, a light and a sump pump.

you now have a house with a cellar :p

brumylad said:
cut a square hole in the top

or just fill it with acid and you can start your own waste disposal service.

htgeng said:
brumylad said:
cut a square hole in the top

or just fill it with acid and you can start your own waste disposal service.

but if you did that would not the acid dissolve the tank?

Get some itinerants to get rid of it for you, they will soon fly tip it in some hedgrow for about £40.00.

Please, in the interest of the enviroment -

Have this disposed of correctly.

There's a good reason it is expensive to have done - it takes a lot to do it properly and ensure that nothing contaminates the earth!

Come on! Where are all the hippies!?! I'm only 26, i shouldn't care about this sort of thing!

brumylad said:
cut a square hole in the top about 700 x 1000,

How do you do that then, grinder? or oxy acetylene :evil:

Think I'd just go the oxy route :evil: clean off the old paint an all. ;)

Advertise it as a "High security bijou residence, only needs a door and cleaning".

Some asylum seeker will rent it, then steal it and flog it to his mates. Sorted.

yeah, actually - that's a bloody good idea.

At work, when we need to get rid of something big and ugly, we chain it with a flimsy lock to the outside of our unit. Sometimes put a 'For Sale' sign on it with some random high number, giving it a value. Put '£1500 to good home ONLY'

One weekend later and it will have been nicked.

Guaranteed.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back