Disposing of Heating Oil Tanks

Mr. Tickle said:
Please, in the interest of the enviroment -

Have this disposed of correctly.

There's a good reason it is expensive to have done - it takes a lot to do it properly and ensure that nothing contaminates the earth!

Come on! Where are all the hippies!?! I'm only 26, i shouldn't care about this sort of thing!

It doesn't matter much if a bit of oil does contaminate the earth (water courses are a different matter, as is a lot of oil) as bacteria will sort it out. The residue in a drained tank is probably less of a problem than the oil dripping from cars parked in a supermarket car park over a week.

Sponsored Links
Yep, that's true!

What I also hate are the chemicals that are used to clean it up with. We've got some really really nasty stuff that does the job, but you're not supposed to wash it away. You're supposed to soak it up and have it disposed of.

I know, the point is moot. But if everyone turned off that lightbulb......

EDIT I meant The Earth, rather than dirt-earth. EDIT

..........we wouldn't be able to see in the dark.

You needen't worry about The Earth, No amount of people can destroy it. They might buggger up the life forms a bit, but there have been mass extinctions before. There WILL be more, but The Earth will still be here afterwards.

Two phone calls required.

1, your local oil supplier to pump out the oil.

2, your local Farmer who will be more than happy to take it off your hands for free.

Sponsored Links
ok, What's the farmer going to do with it............or have I missed something :rolleyes:

Farmer keeps fuel oil for his tractors, has them in the yard in the field all over the place, any farmer I know is more than happy to pick a tank up with his trailer.

contrary to urban myth. they cut up a treat. using a large petrol driven grinder.
ok, a few sparks....but no pyrotechnics.

greenchainsaw.gif

:LOL:

or if it held kero, and youre really worried, pour some diesel in it.

:LOL:

brumylad said:
ok, What's the farmer going to do with it............or have I missed something :rolleyes:
And travellers :!: We just has one of our 30,000 litres petrol tanker hijacked last year and having a storage tank is useful :!:

And travellers We just has one of our 30,000 litres petrol tanker hijacked last year .............

I wouldn't have thought they'd want petrol, most of their wagons are run on red diesel, perhaps with som kerosene added in the winter.

Kev, looks like your chainsaw needs fixing, it appears to be running backwards. :D

KateH said:
I've recently changed from oil to gas ch. I am left with two large metal oil storage tanks with oil sludge in the bottom. How do I get rid of them? I assume I can't take an angle grinder to them without blowing myself up. Is there anything I can do myself or will I need a waste company to do it (for large fee)? Any ideas of the type of company (or any companies you know that do it - my nearest town is Nuneaton, near Coventry/Leicester) or about how much to pay? Many thanks for any help anyone can give.

Have you considered auctioning them on E-Bay? They may be just what 'someone out there' is looking for, and they'd be happy to get them second-hand, arrange for pick-up etc, rather than get them new.....

Regards, Graham

ref getting rid of CH oil tanks

Farmers like them for storing diesel,and most have the facilities to move them, so would be happy to collect.

Suggest ad in farmers guardian, farmers weekly or loot

Cheers

Rob

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back