Distance between openings in outside wall

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Chaps, I have an internal garage which has a 225mm thick (2x 100mm thermalite block with a tiny air gap + plaster on one side) wall separting it from the hall way in the house.

Due to a wonderful piece of 1980s design the front door is currently is in a bit of a rubbish place. I would like to move it so that it is to the left of the external up and over garage door and opening in to the hallway.

Ideally I would just maintain the 225mm wall thickness between the garage door and new front door on the outside wall but I can't see that being possible due to the need for 150mm bearing for each lintel. So would a pier (if thats the correct word) of 300mm be needed between the two doors or would ot have to be wider still or can it be left at 225 and lintels be welded together etc? I'm just at the feasibilty stage at the moment so trying to make sure I understand what can and can't be done.

If it makes any difference the garage door lintel is a Catnic CG70/100 and there is 1 thermalite block on top it and then the wall plate for a lean to roof.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back