distances between hob and sockets

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I'm currently doing up my kitchen but as i'm putting the cabinets in place, same as they were previously, I have noticed the sockets are close to where the hob will be. What is the distance I should have between the edge of the hob and the socket?

Pics added to show the 600mm oven carcass in place and sockets, hob will be position above the oven. Hob is 580mm width so it will pretty much take up the full oven housing width.

hob_location_pic.jpg

hob_location_pic2.jpg

original hob location, what it will end up like
original_hob_location.jpg

Sponsored Links
There are no rules or regulations.

300mm. is recommended but just common sense.

I would want to move the one on the right; more because it is not symmetrical than anything else even if I never used it.

Sponsored Links
Apart from folk lore and tradition, the 300mm. is shown (not mentioned as are sinks) in the Electricians' guide to the Building Regulations.

However, I (and others?) would recommend 300mm. from the hob therefore it is recommended.

The poster clearly had a gas hob but does not say if new hob is gas. With my mothers induction hob the sockets were rather close to the hob and I raised concerns as to if her arm would be too close to pans when reaching to use them. However with no open flames and only the pan gets hot not the hob in real terms there was no problem for a non disabled person.

With gas however it is very different I have seen many times where the flames lick the sides of the pan and a large pan can cause the flames to be fanned out over a large area.

I do remember working with a gas fitter and he was one who would get his ruler out and if cupboards were half an inch too close it was sorry can't fit it there and back in his van.

So if electric then no real problem if gas than ask on gas forum as they are really down to the letter and half an inch out and they will walk away without fitting it.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back