Divide window into two with new stud wall

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I am looking for some advice on how feasible it is to divide an existing window into two with a new stud wall down the middle. Current window is approx 1.2m wide x 1m high. I am aware this is an unusual solution but is our most sensible option given the layout of our house and the window locations, as we need to create a bathroom upstairs between the two bedrooms.

Has anyone ever done or heard of this before? I am concerned the finished appearance will be very forced as windows in the corner of rooms doesn't look natural. I'm also interested in how the window is physically divided in two - would it be best to build a brickwork divide and two new windows, or keep one opening and install a window with a large central mullion which the stud wall could be built against?

NB the external walls are approx 500mm thick solid stone so moving/creating a new window is not desirable.

Glad for any advice, tips, better ideas! Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Form two openings and install two new windows - anything else will be a botch (as I suspect you already know!)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back