DIY fallout shelter [potential sticky]

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
That's a bummer. I was going to put Ian H's cheque in the post for the drainage.

Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
Sponsored Links
I lived through the cold war when we were very close to total war we just got on with it, WW3 will hit this generation far harder, no internet, instagram, twitter, facebook, Starbucks, or Nando's terrible possibilities we never risked suffering! ;);););)

I lived through the cold war when we were very close to total war we just got on with it, WW3 will hit this generation far harder, no internet, instagram, twitter, facebook, Starbucks, or Nando's terrible possibilities we never risked suffering! ;);););)
I remember it too. The tension was there just the same, but not the drama from the press or public - and certianly not from social media. What we don't have now is 1000's of Russian troops poised on the border of Germany ready to attack at a moments notice, and the many "tactical" battlefield missiles ready to go, the bombers flying, and ships sailing and intimidation around Europe daily.

But the dynamics have changed now, but I hope the attitudes have not.

But now it's much easier to cripple a country without the use of conventional weapons.
For instance there has been lots of Russian sub activity around the transatlantic cables.
It would not take much to knock out the stock market, take down the national grid, turn off water supplies etc.

Propaganda is much easier to spread as well.

The 'unofficial' Nuclear war local strategy is to hem people into cities so they are all killed quickly and so to not put strain on the countrysides food resources.
The leaflets distributed during the cold war, to create a shelter in your house, was to quickly and effectively incinerate or trap the occupants.

It's really sad but during a massive event like this the less people who survive the better.

You surely don't want cold-war thinking back?

Why not? If we had cold war thinking back perhaps youngsters of today would be out shouting about the fact that governments can lead us into war without a by your leave. In the cold war days people protested about the bomb. Nowadays people just sit around on their arses with their heads buried in their phones waiting casually for oblivion. The state of the world today is far far worse than ever it was during the cold war era. At least in those days we only had Russia and America to worry about. Now we have all sorts of criminal nutcases running countries and a lot of them have nukes and chemicals.

and yet some of them are taking an interest.

Young people didn't lose interest in politics.

Politicians lost interest in young people.

Some didn't

Some did

The handful of RWRs on here are vitriolic in their hatred of a politician who has the support of young people.

They fear citizen activism

Have you ever seen Theresa pretending to engage with the public?

Luckily for them, the mass media is predominantly right-wing and can be relied upon to push the Tory line. Only in the run-up to an election are the big broadcasters obliged to give equal airtime, and public support for the opposition shoots up.

and yet some of them are taking an interest.

Young people didn't lose interest in politics.

Politicians lost interest in young people.

Some didn't

Some did

The handful of RWRs on here are vitriolic in their hatred of a politician who has the support of young people.

They fear citizen activism

Have you ever seen Theresa pretending to engage with the public?

Luckily for them, the mass media is predominantly right-wing and can be relied upon to push the Tory line. Only in the run-up to an election are the big broadcasters obliged to give equal airtime, and public support for the opposition shoots up.

I'm not going to pursue this with you because most of what you say is junk in my opinion. Having said that my last word to you is that politicians lost interest in young people because the vast majority of young people have absolutely nothing of any substance to say. No politician "engages" with the public but that is partly because, as I have said, a lot of the public live in their little Candy Crush worlds and cannot be bothered to get off their arses to find out what's going on. They should fear citizen activism but there isn't much chance of that when citizens are living in their cotton candy virtual worlds for most of their waking life. Back in the day there was a lot of citizen activism. Some of it worked some of it didn't. Nowadays zilch. And the reason you ended up with Brexit, which I am fine with, is because these modern "citizens" couldn't be bothered to get of their backsides and vote and now you lot are crying foul. Democracy you have absolutely no idea what that word means.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links