DIY fallout shelter [potential sticky]

Sponsored Links
politicians lost interest in young people because the vast majority of young people have absolutely nothing of any substance to say.

no, it's because old people vote more, and always have done.

so the politicians aim themselves at giving oldies what they want.

Poor old pete is obviously another vitriolic person full of hate.

He'll moan about democracy soon enough when the citizens vote for something he doesn't like.

I've just given Vlad a call and asked him to send them over. It's for the best.

Sponsored Links
I recommend watching "The War Game" (1965) while you wait. It's an interesting drama/documentary about the time just after the bomb drops. Initially banned for many years as the content was deemed too harrowing for the British public. Lots of sites online to watch it. :whistle:

Meanwhile I've been to Aldi and got some bananas and cakes with long best before dates. Didn't bother with any meat for frying, as we may not fancy any despite the aroma that would be wafting around.

BUT DON’T YOU KNOW THAT BANANAS ARE RADIOACTIVE!!!!!!
LAST THING YOU SHOULD BE EATING!!!!!!

BUT DON’T YOU KNOW THAT BANANAS ARE RADIOACTIVE!!!!!!
LAST THING YOU SHOULD BE EATING!!!!!!
No way.

I've not got a Geiger counter, but my damp meter needle was still in the green so I thought that meant they were OK.

I bought one of those wooden things to hang them off to make them last longer too. :(

Slightly more seriously, anyone ever made a radiation meter? I’ve sometimes considered it. Maybe a project for the weekend?

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kearny_fallout_meter

The Kearny fallout meter, or KFM, is an expedient radiation meter. It is designed such that someone with a normal mechanical ability would be able to construct it before or during a nuclear attack, using common household items.​

I've got that covered (y) - https://www.raspberrypi.org/magpi/simple-pi-geiger-counter-display/

I don't known if it does the clicklity click thing, which would be important for overall coolness.

I've also got a few left over rolls of 35mm film that I could hang up.

The meters used to detect fallout are not the same as ordinary geigers.

They only detect one range (think it might be Beta) emitted from fallout and are only interested in readings that are dangerous. So very inaccurate in the "will you die in ten minutes or in ten days" scale and the "is it perfectly safe or fairly safe" range. For some reason they don't react to modern luminous watches.

Yeah I suppose your right. Anyone under 30 these days couldn't give a flying f**k what happens outside their little "Candy Crush" world.

I hope that's just a (rubbish) joke and you don't really think that.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links