DIY (fireplace) Surround, possible?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hey,

We have been looking at modern surrounds for our living room, but they seem to be very expensive for what really looks like a simple to make piece. So I thought I might try and build my own surround. Something along the lines of this one in Argos:
http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Produ...94/c_2/2|cat_14417894|Fireplaces|14418149.htm

How easy would this be to build? And how would the best way be to go about it? The corner joints etc....

Cheers
Bigmaz

Sponsored Links
Easy enough. Simple box structures glued and screwed. Make a cardboard model to get the template designs, remembering that the thickness of the card will be the thickness of the material used.

Are you intending to put a fire within it? This will affect the materials used within its construction.

Thanks dextrous for your reply.

It will just have pebbles in it, no fire........ So would Butt joints all round be the way to go to construct it?

Sponsored Links
Pretty much. I'd sit down with a bit of paper and draw out the exact dimensions of each piece, then get B&Q to cut it out of MDF with one of their big machines.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back