DIY foil insulation?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am re-building a single-skin conservatory on the original brick walls.

I want to insulate the walls using foil insulation - essentially, it is bubble wrap which has been silvered on both sides.

It seems to me that the cost of a large roll of bubble wrap + a large roll of tin foil + a tube of grab adhesive is FAR cheaper than buying the ready-made foil insulation.

Furthermore, the local DIY places only sell the 4mm insulation, whereas if I make it up myself using bubble wrap from Staples, I can buy any thickness of bubble that I want.

Is there anything special about the ready-made stuff that makes it radically different from my Heath Robinson alternative?

Sponsored Links
You may as well use foil instead of foil+bubblewrap for all the good either of them will do. :rolleyes:

Multi layer foil insulations such as tri-iso super 10 for instance, claim to give a certain performance level provided they are used in conjunction with a rigid foam board insulation.

Foil bubble wrap will be slightly better than useless.

Aside from which, insulating conservatory walls is pointless as all the heat escapes through the polycarb and glass. It may only serve to prevent cold spot mould.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back