DIY Gas Work IS NOT Illegal

• Thread starter Water Systems
  • Start date
Water Systems said:
corgiman said:
wow this must be a record 8 pages of total ****

It is. All they had to do was read the first post, that clearly states that DIY gas work is legal, but they couldn't even do that. And they allow these people to go into people's homes.

BOG OFF BACK TO SCREW FIX

Sponsored Links
Softus said:
Water Systems, do you have a brother (or son) called Joe who's currently on holiday in Copenhagen?

Now there is a fine city.

WS said:
Copenhagen?

Perhaps you should visit. They have nice comfortable places for senile old ranters to spend the useless years of their lives.

Sponsored Links
My advice to anyone is if you dont know what you are doing, then DON'T do it, leave it to the experts, unless you want to kill or be killed!!!

Agile said:
Maybe I will get it later?
If you haven't worked it out before the end of his holiday, then I'll blab. :D

If he did then it would probably be his grandson as he is old and retired!
Are you assuming that he's old because of the senile nature of hist postings, or do you have some insider information? ;)

ChrisR said:
WS said:
Copenhagen?

Perhaps you should visit. They have nice comfortable places for senile old ranters to spend the useless years of their lives.
Sussex is nearer..........join me :LOL: :cool:

kevplumb said:
Water Systems said:
corgiman said:
wow this must be a record 8 pages of total ****

It is. All they had to do was read the first post, that clearly states that DIY gas work is legal, but they couldn't even do that. And they allow these people to go into people's homes.

BOG OFF BACK TO SCREW FIX

Thats my dad, would make oscar wilde pack up his pen

BTW WS the ****** reference was to you

you have been totally our classed by agile, chrisr and especially softus (as per must make sure i have some kryptonite in me sky if we ever meet ;) )

poor auld bugger you

mind you you have cured my insomnia with your pointless rant cheers

fitz1 said:
i want to know what ban there is at present.what the restrictions are.because your post talkes about not having an absolute ban. therefore due to the wording of the said post , there must be some restrictions.

fitz1 said:
i want to know what ban there is at present.what the restrictions are.because your post talkes about not having an absolute ban. therefore due to the wording of the said post , there must be some restrictions.

The links are all there. Read them. The only proviso is that a DIYer has to "competent", which has not been defiined for a DIYer. Competence has only been defined for people making money from gas.

Only a court can define competence for DIY. It hasn't so far.

In fact anyone can do gas work anywhere as long as they don't earn money and is competent. Many retired Gas Fitters, who are not Corgi, do voluntary work. Many others who are competent do then same. All legal

Please no stupid corgi repsonses going on about ACS, Corgi and such crap. Just respond by saying thank you Water Systems I never knew that. And the DIYers can say thanks, I am competent so I can go ahead now and don't have to pay a fortune to some shark.

Water Systems said:
fitz1 said:

The links are all there. Read them. The only proviso is that a DIYer has to "competent", which has not been defiined for a DIYer. Competence has only been defined for people making money from gas.

In fact anyone can do gas work anywhere as long as they don't earn money and is competent. Many retired Gas Fitters, who are not Corgi, do voluntary work. Many others who are competent do then same. All legal.
Somewhat astonishingly, I agree with all of the above. What's most bizarre is that the person who wrote it is using the same user name as the utter fool who, until today, claimed that all DIY gas work is legal. This represents a recognition of the key word in the legislation, that being "competent".

Just respond by saying thank you Water Systems I never knew that.
Thank you WS, but most of us here always did know all of that - it's you who's only just got up to speed.

And the DIYers can say thanks, I am competent so I can go ahead now and don't have to pay a fortune to some shark.
Aha - this sounds more like the usual WS! I have no idea why you think that you're the first person to (a) understand the legislation, and (b) post a correct interpretation on the forum.

Water Systems admits:-

"""Only a court can define competence for DIY. It hasn't so far. """

Since no Court has defined competence for DIY there is no yardstick and so a DIYer must avoid doing ANY gas work just in case he is found not to be competent.

Agile said:
Since no Court has defined competence for DIY there is no yardstick and so a DIYer must avoid doing ANY gas work just in case he is found not to be competent.
That's not correct. The word competent is defined as part of the English language.

What hasn't been ruled upon, in circumstances where it's not already obvious (i.e. death or destruction), is the meaning of competence in the context of the GSIUR.

For example, a DIYer has done some work that is technical perfect, but then, through ignorance, failed to perform a soundness test. It would be easy to argue that this is incompetence [although I now expect that someone here will argue that it isn't, but that's not my point], because the risk that the DIYer has failed to mitigate is significant and the information needed to do the test is in the public domain.

Softus said:

In fact anyone can do gas work anywhere as long as they don't earn money and is competent. Many retired Gas Fitters, who are not Corgi, do voluntary work. Many others who are competent do then same. All legal.

Somewhat astonishingly, I agree with all of the above.

Then there you have it.

The HSE said......
At present we do not believe that this evidence is sufficiently strong to suggest that current legal controls (ie for competence under GSIUR regulation 3(1)) are inadequate, and an absolute ban needs to be placed on DIY.

If the HSE don't believe an absolute ban should be on DIY, then DIY gas work is legal.

You must to learn to comprehend words. You are the sort who doesn't read instructions because you can't understand them, and ends up with a bag full of screws and nuts.

The Brain of Britain comes in and says..........

Agile said:
Water Systems admits:-

"""Only a court can define competence for DIY. It hasn't so far. """

Since no Court has defined competence for DIY there is no yardstick

He is right, no court has defined competence for DIY gas work - good work there. Then he says..

and so a DIYer must avoid doing ANY gas work just in case he is found not to be competent.

A corgi badge means you can practice gas work for money, but does not indicate competence. And by the same token, Corgi men must stop doing gas work in case they are found not to be competent too.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back