DIY Job? Remove Load Bearing Wall & Install RSJ

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
New topic, this time looking at the DIY side of this...

I have had the following spec'd by a structual engineer:

178 x 102 x 19 UB S275 (4 meters) with 300 x 100 C15 padstones

I am thinking about going down the DIY route, with the help of some mates for the lifting etc. The basic plan is to remove the remaining load bearing wall downstairs (one has already been done before), and put new stairs on the side of the house, rather than the middle as they are now.

20121002_211344.jpg

My plan is as follows...

Red = RSJ
Green = Scaffold Board
Blue = Srongboys (hired from HSS)

rsj.jpg

The total span is 3800mm. I assume I need to support both the floor above, and the wall above. So I plan to use 5 strongboy acrows with a scaffold board under & over to hold up the joists, and then another 4 strong boys to hold up the brick work. Is this the best way of doing that?

The picture below is of the other side of the wall. Again I am working on the principle that I'll only need to support on the one side, and can insert the RSJ from the other?

20121002_211040.jpg

Any tips/hints welcomed :D

Sponsored Links
There is only joists one side (the other side being the stair well).

I could just prop the joists, which go into to the wall above - but will the tail end of the joists hold the wall/roof up?

First thing to do would be to take those Christmas cards down... It's October!! :LOL:

There is only joists one side (the other side being the stair well).

I could just prop the joists, which go into to the wall above - but will the tail end of the joists hold the wall/roof up?

Yes, if the joists are at least 6x2.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back