How Much To Insert 2 RSJ's in 2 Load Bearing Walls?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I've lurked here a while, but now have a question. I have posted it up on another forum too,but figure getting a few opinions is better than less!

I have a fairly typical "2 up 2 down" terrace, with a kitchen off the back of the dining room. The dining room is dark, with little natural light, and really only serves as a corridor from the louge to the kitchen.

Orginally the stairs were up the middle of the house, flanked by 2 load bearing walls. One has already been removed to open the stairs onto the lounge. I wish to remove the other, and install a new staircase on the wall ajoining the new door. This creates a fairly good sized open plan downstairs, finally making use of the dining room space and allowing much better light. I am also removing the wall directly above this, to make use of the space gained upstairs when the stairs have moved.

I've had the calculations done for the beams & padstones.

I require...

178 x 102 x 19 UB S275 (4 meters) with 300 x 100 C15 padstones
203 x 203 x 46 UC S275 (4 meters) with 600 x 100 C15 padstones

I only require a builder to install the beam/padstones. I'll be taking away the wall underneath. No "making good, "boxing in", taking away etc.

The quotes I've had so far are £2k - £3k - which I think is high...

My "fag packet" calcualations are:

RSJ's: ~£150 each
4x Padstones: ~£20 each
4x One Week Strongboy Hire ~£160
3x labour at ~£100/day: ~£300 (2 day job?)

I'm struggling to get past £1200.Question is, am I being miles too optermistic or getting ripped off?!

Sponsored Links
You are paying for knowledge and experience, not hammering someone down to what you think they should do in a day or two.

I'm sure there are lots of poleskis about who will do this job for a cheese sandwich and cup of tea

I take your point, but surely a builder can't expect £500 a day profit?! We talking £130k a year :eek:

I might be wrong, but materials plus the builders day fee should be the cost? I pay my sparky & pumber like that....?!

Sponsored Links
Anybody in the trade, or had something similar done able to give an idea? ;)

Not sure you'd get many builders in Kent that work for 100 quid a day that speak English as a first language!

Are you sure there not quoting for the demolition as well? Obviously that adds to the time and equipment costs of the job. (Personally I wouldn't like to work under a structure that an amature (no offence intended) knocked down...you'd want to do it yourself using appropriate equipment to ensure it's done properly.

I'm in Gillingham :)

Even at say £150/day... I can't make it add up. :confused:

I've contacted 11 builders so far, only 2 replies, both know it installation only. One come back with £2600 +VAT. The other was via "rated people", I put in the price bracket of £1k - £2k, not had an exact price yet... but did say when came around "doubt will be in the bracket".

Don't get me wrong, I'm not after a bodge, just want to make sure the prices are in the right ball park.

If you are getting quotes from companies, then they have other costs, and its not just about charging an operatives day rate

If the quotes you are getting are similar, then surely that is the going rate?

I'd agree if I had more than 1 & 1/2 quotes :D

It's been a week since I emailed out. Didn't know if expensive job, or just something people not interested in doing?!

Emailing???? Why people mess around emailing I'll never know. Tradesman know its all too easy to bang a load of emails out. Show some common sense and get on the blower. If they haven't seen it they can't quote it.

Emailing???? Why people mess around emailing I'll never know. Tradesman know its all too easy to bang a load of emails out. Show some common sense and get on the blower. If they haven't seen it they can't quote it.

Seems little point putting down a contact email if they not going to bother responding to it. Wall plans and calculations were attached, would have thought easier than trying to explain it over phone... !

If they haven't seen it they can't quote it.

And all of the websites that get you to ask for quotes are a waste of time pretty much (as you've found out). The builders have to pay for every job they quote.

Plenty of better ways to find a better builder, have a search on the forum for similar threads.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back