DIY plumbing kook needs newbie advice in the loft.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've just been insulating my loft (with the British Gas subsidised bargain £1 per roll B&Q loft insulation) and in doing so had to navigate my cold water storage tank and expansion tank. The expansion tank had no cover over it but had a loose insulation jacket around it which appeared to be filled with the same insulation material as the loft insulation. The water in the tank is filthy.

My cold water tank had two dirty planks of wood diagonally over it with a similar jacket partially over it, but much of the tank is open to allow debris to fall in. The water in the tank has much dust floating on the surface and there is sediment at the bottom. Lots of limescale around the ball valve but otherwise the water looked clean.

How clean do both tanks need to be?
Should one or either be more sufficiently covered?
Can I use loft insulation to wrap around them instead of the manky jackets?

I've not insulated under the tanks with the loft insulation.

Many thanks!!

Kevin

Sponsored Links
*looks up*

CRIKEY!!!

But I don't have an air conditioning cooling tower, communal shower or whirlpool. I assume you think I could have this in my tank, but A) my family have been using it without issues to date and B) I can find nothing about taking precautions against this in relation to the expansion/storage tank on any website .... but I'll keep looking.

How would I clean out and drain my tanks and protect in future?!

I'm b****y worried now! :confused:

The expansion tank had no cover over it but had a loose insulation jacket around it which appeared to be filled with the same insulation material as the loft insulation. The water in the tank is filthy.
It will be - you may wish to clean it out, desludge the central heating system and and an inhibitor.
How clean do both tanks need to be?
Main CW tank- as clea nas possible, since this is what you wash with and rinse your toothbrushed mouth out with
Should one or either be more sufficiently covered?
Can I use loft insulation to wrap around them instead of the manky jackets?

Expansion tank - don't insulate
CW tank - yes
I've not insulated under the tanks with the loft insulation.
good
You can make a cover for your CW tank out of waperproof ply or a bit of stiff plastic, or even harboard with plastic wrapped around it. Make sure the overflow pipe has access to it.

Kevin[/quote]

Sponsored Links
I would steer clear of using that fibre glass insulation around your cold water tank. In time the fibre glass goes quite manky. It also flattens out and looses its insulation effectiveness. Also you don't want fibres in your bath water, :eek: it will itch and irritate.

Get a proper insulating tank jacket and if you cant find/buy a plastic lid to fit, make one out of plywood. Same for the expansion tank.

It's only when you find the remains of half a rat floating semi fluid on top of the water that will make you jump into sorting it out. What the eye doesn't see the mind don't care...........or something like that! :D

Never use plywood or MDF unless there is a vapour barrier as it eventually goes soft and droops down and forces the ball valve on.

I see 2-3 of these every year!

Tony

These replies sound like good advice! Many thanks for the tips guys, much appreciated.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back