DIY rewiring and Building control

So I had noticed, its even cheaper there :D

Is that likely to provide me with all I need to know for wiring in the home?

Sponsored Links
I ordered the guide last night.
I look forward to reading it. :D

Hi Yanni

I had a similar problem just before I registered a building notice for a partial rewire. The building control's website (east & south cheshire) said that I would have to arrange for a PIR to be done to satisfy them everything was in order. When I quoted Part P which states it is building control's responsibility to check everything is in order I got a different responce, along the lines of - "the sub-contractor we use is usually very busy and it could take 3 weeks for a PIR to be done so we advise the property owners to arrange there own". I then asked if the PIR was included in the £207 I paid and was told it was. When the subby called to check my first fix, he said they can normally do a PIR within 3 days of notice. I'd had a PIR done when I bought my property 2 months ago (thus the rewire) and paid £95 if thats any use to you.

I think I have been quite lucky after reading some similar posts and I certainly wish you the best of luck.

Regards

I finally had to pay £95 + VAT for a PIR to satisfy Manchester building control. That was in addition to a £99 application fee paid to control. So a total of £206.62 for the lot. I still don't understand why I've paid £99 to building control. The lady from the council came with a socket tester and only tested 5 new sockets ...took her 2 minutes only ! No first fix inspection whatsoever...

The price almost make sense as the work was nearly a complete rewire but if I 'd have added a few sockets and a couple of lights and had to pay £206.62 for the privilege of the thing been tested, I wouldn't have been very happy.

Sponsored Links
I think I'll do a freedom of information request on my council to get their policy & charges off them :D

Shouldn't need a FOI request for fees and charges - they should be publicised for nowt and be on the Councils website.

If you really want to put the cat amongst the pigeons try an FOI request on how they calculate and justify their fees!

Good luck - all the messing about with people with a £20 socket tester that wouldn't know their loop impedence from their loop earring suddenly makes registering under Part P worth while.

Which is why we may not bother in the end.

I would not pay such a high fee as I have been told without getting some justification of what I get for it.

I finally had to pay £95 + VAT for a PIR to satisfy Manchester building control.
That's absolutely outrageous. It was unlawful of them to make you pay.

That was in addition to a £99 application fee paid to control. So a total of £206.62 for the lot. I still don't understand why I've paid £99 to building control. The lady from the council came with a socket tester and only tested 5 new sockets ...took her 2 minutes only ! No first fix inspection whatsoever...
Take the f*****g b******s to court.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back