DIY starter toolset

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello all, I wonder if someone can give me some advice on what tools are needed for a DIY amateur?

We are in the process of buying our first home and there is a fair bit of cosmetic work that needs doing (painting, filling, replace paving slabs, cabling, skirting, cupboards, doors, cat flap etc). Rather than make multiple trips to the hardware store I am hoping to get some advice on what will be needed so I can buy it all in one go.

Your advice is appreciated!
Ben

Sponsored Links
I would suggest the following.

screwdrivers
Tape measure
spirit level (1m at least)

Power drill/driver plus bits for masonary and metal/wood

a decent saw medium - fine blade
mitre box

chisels a smallish one and a largish one
hammer
hand plane or a power one if you have the budget.

Filling knife
caulking tool or plastering trowel

a couple of builders buckets

A sanding block and paper

rollers (buy a cheap set) and then buy some additional sleeves of slightly better quality.

paintbrushes medium sized i have a 2 for emulsion painting, and 2 for gloss painting.

save ur pickled onion jars for cleaining your gloss brushes...

maybe a long steel ruler too.

The list could be endless,

What I have done over the years is bought what i need, then I seem to have different buckets with tools for different tasks. some i use loads some i have used once lol.

Rob

don't buy any tools with the name "Silverline" on them.

I think that's a bit unfair. I know the quality isn't the best, but it's cheap as chips and for an occasional use, some of it is more than adequate.

I have a 1 meter SDS drill bit from silverline. It gets used once every couple of months, so it was pointless buying an expensive branded bit.

Anything which says pro or professional on it isn't.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back