DIY Wireless Alarm options

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I need a DIY wireless alarm system because i move regularily and want to take it with me, but don't really want to have to compromise on capability, despite having to choose a DIY option.

From reading in this forum I have shortlisted the 3 below, but its not based on any real understanding of the technical capabilities nor how easy for the DIYer to install (I'd say I am a capable DIYer, but alarms is not something I have touched before). I would be grateful for any thoughts...

EL SecuPlace kitSP3TRI GSM - complete package so probably the easiest to install, and so far my favourites unless people start telling me it's far less capable than the enforcer or other.

Pyonix Enforcer - seen a few people recommend this one, but someone told me its not easy to install.

Visonic PowerMaster 30 Pro - a late entrance to my list from a thread a few days ago.

Basic requirements: normal PIR/contact coverage, part zone options, self monitoring (smart/phone/text), proxy arming/disarming, remote key pad. Adding a camera is a bonus.

I'm very appreciative for any advice and thanks very much in advance for any help you can offer.

Sponsored Links
There are all the same in one way or another ?
Some are easier to program that other ?
Some can have wired advisers ?
Wireless devices all use batteries and things like extra wireless keypads have poor battery life.
Pyronix enforcer can have a hard wired keypad if required
Your choice,I would go with pyronix,then risco,then powemax.

Thanks very much for that. I know that there are a few pyramid fans on here.

I was recommended by someone to go for the Pyronix Secuplace because of its simplicity to set up and it is technically comparable to the enforcer. Would you agree?

I like that it's simple and a smart alarm, but concerned it's a dumbed down version of the enforcer to allow DIY install.

Thanks again

Seen my error, Secuplace is Risco. When the guy from CTS was explaining it to me on the phone I thought he meant it was another Pyronix alarm! Doh

I just costed it up and it seems the Risco EL Secuplace is coming in at about £366 against the Enforcer HC Wifi for £538 for what seems like similar products (similar functionality anyway).

Having said that, can't find anything on the internet about the Secuplace EL - has anyone got any experience with it?

I do like the the Secuplace has GPRS with GSM and PSTN backup.

Sponsored Links
Secuplace is Risco budget range to under cut pyronix and Visonic power max
Pyronix enforcer and visonic power max all do GPRS with GSM,you just need to get right kit for your needs.
Professional installers tend to steer clear of budget kits ?

That's what I feared....if it's easy and cheap it's probably not the most substantial set up!

Think I'm going to go for the enforcer, I like that I have the option to get it part wired in, and by a professional to make it grade 2 in the future if I stay in one place for longer. - just need to decide on which one, and then just trust that an ability to use a screw driver and carefully read instructions allows me to set it up!

I assume it's not possible to wire in the wifi version so there is a back up to the wifi failing?

Am I also right in thinking I can't have a wifi or LAN version with GSM back up? Someone told me earlier the GPRS version can cost about £10pm in data chargers.

Sorry for all the questions, but I'm very grateful for your advice.

What do you want your system to do?
Different manufacturers offer different functions
Put down your wish list and someone could tell you what you need then you could price it up from that.
If you get if right first time you are not wasting your money
There are app's,GSM modules ,ip hardwired devices and wifi devices that can be connected to various manufacturers alarms,just depends on what you want and how much you want to spend.
Buy cheap buy twice ?

Thanks, your right, many many choices.

So my need - an alarm to deter potential intruders and make sure I'm not the easy target - which I think most decent alarms would achieve.

Further considerations:

1. Ability to take the system with me when I move home (typically every 2 years, but often less)
2. Self install (can't really afford to pay every time I move)
3. Self monitoring and remote control (Arming, disarming, let me know if it's going off!)
4. Flexibility - compromise between security and ease of install - hybrid is ideal to allow hard wire where possible in the future
5. Cost - £300-500 - I'd rather pay more for something which will last for the future and not feel the need to upgrade

So I think I'm basically set on Enforcer now....and so that leaves me with the decision on which reporting format.

My gut says to go for wifi as it's the most flexible and doesn't have sim costs - and take the risk for a sophisticated attack on my wifi as unlikely as my house isn't high value. In a perfect world I would have the Digi-wifi with LAN or GSM as a back up for redundancy.

Could save money by choosing the GSM version, or possibly one of the PSTN kits and still achieve the main objective - but would hate to go to all this trouble and then live in regret - like not getting parking sensors because I don't need help parking the car!

I'm probably just thinking/waffling out loud now so apologies for that, but really appreciate your thoughts. I've been reading through loads of other threads on this forum and realised that finding the right answer is near impossible as it doesn't really exist - you can spend all the money you have on a system, but if somebody is determined enough, they could probably still find a weakness!

Thanks very much and have a great Christmas tomorrow!

I went for the Pyronix Enforcer, very easy to install after a few tries. Cost around £400 in total. I can recommend you a supplier.

Great, thanks. I'm looking forward to the project! I'm set on enforcer also but had to put it on hold over xmas/new year, back at it now though.

Who would you recommend?

Still deciding between wifi/LAN/GSM - in an ideal world I love to be able to fit more than one comms module and go for Wifi with GSM backup.

Great, thanks. I'm looking forward to the project! I'm set on enforcer also but had to put it on hold over xmas/new year, back at it now though.

Who would you recommend?

Still deciding between wifi/LAN/GSM - in an ideal world I love to be able to fit more than one comms module and go for Wifi with GSM backup.

Yeah its not very difficult, I had the enforcer kit 3 (standard one) with 6 sensors, 1 door contact, 1 arming station and a bell box.

I went for the standard one, as I am thinking of getting CCTV installed. But, there is a cost of £30 per year (Quote me if I am wrong) to be on the cloud. You can use your mobile to set/unset the alarm etc.

I used, http://www.citysecuritysystems.co.uk best to ring and ask for Michael, its good to get a quote. Mention Hassan (y)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back