Do anti-scale devices ACTUALLY work?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Yes, I know that this topic has been covered, but with new devices appearing on the market, I was just wondering if anyone can recommend any of them 'wholeheartedly'?
I'll be fitting a new stopcock shortly, and I'd like to fit an anti-scale device at the point of entry in an attempt to protect my fancy new fittings from the dreaded white stuff (no, not the clothing brand)!
I mean, do any of them REALLY work?

Sponsored Links
Yes, I know that this topic has been covered, but with new devices appearing on the market, I was just wondering if anyone can recommend any of them 'wholeheartedly'?
I'll be fitting a new stopcock shortly, and I'd like to fit an anti-scale device at the point of entry in an attempt to protect my fancy new fittings from the dreaded white stuff (no, not the clothing brand)!

I often wonder this myself. I have a Monarch water conditioner that cost me £300 nicka. It's middle of the range in terms of price and I'm not convinced by it.

Each manufacturer are different so you needt to pick what ever suits your situation . Aquabion for instance say that their product needs to be fitted 5m away from the first appliance. This is mostly not achievable.

I often wonder this myself. I have a Monarch water conditioner that cost me £300 nicka. It's middle of the range in terms of price and I'm not convinced by it.

Each manufacturer are different so you needt to pick what ever suits your situation . Aquabion for instance say that their product needs to be fitted 5m away from the first appliance. This is mostly not achievable.
Aquabion are top of the range and I've still had problems with scale on a property that I've fitted one too.

What brand are you thinking?

Sponsored Links
Aquabion are top of the range and I've still had problems with scale on a property that I've fitted one too.
Interesting! I've been steering clear of the new black bathroom fittings and shower cubicles. I imagine that after being subjected to our hard water, they might stay clean for... a week? The search continues!

My quest begineth right here my friend! I didn't want to read any company-biased literature! I have a habit of believing it!? Lol

How much do you want to spend?
Can it fit just after your stop cock?
How close would the nearest appliance be?

How much do you want to spend?
Can it fit just after your stop cock?
How close would the nearest appliance be?
Ha! IF it was guaranteed to work, I'd be happy to spend BIG! And, yes, it can be fitted very close to the stopcock as that's being replaced. The water emerges under the sink, so the first appliances would be almost immediate.

Ha! IF it was guaranteed to work, I'd be happy to spend BIG! And, yes, it can be fitted very close to the stopcock as that's being replaced. The water emerges under the sink, so the first appliances would be almost immediate.
About £160 have used before and heard that others swear by them.

To my knowledge there are no distance requirements.

I spoke about this very thing with a customer of mine yesterday He's got dual taps on both the kitchen sink and outside tap, whereby he can use descaled water for cleaning his car and motorbikes.
He said the salty water encourages oxidisation so he doesn't bother washing his vehicles with it. Also it was killing the plants (salty water).

He said the only thing it is good for is the shower. He's even considering letting the salt run out and not replenish.

I spoke about this very thing with a customer of mine yesterday He's got dual taps on both the kitchen sink and outside tap, whereby he can use descaled water for cleaning his car and motorbikes.
He said the salty water encourages oxidisation so he doesn't bother washing his vehicles with it. Also it was killing the plants (salty water).

He said the only thing it is good for is the shower. He's even considering letting the salt run out and not replenish.

Tell him to rig up a water butt, and wash the car with rainwater.

Much better shine, than with tap water.

Water Softeners can be good but they need to be installed correctly and serviced every 1 or 2 years.

Most boilers dont like soft water nor do plants so you will still need hard water for outsides taps and kitchen sink and possibly the boiler.

Well, we're going round in circles. I'll have a look at the Activflo unit Bod.
Thanks guys!

Well, we're going round in circles. I'll have a look at the Activflo unit Bod.
Thanks guys!
To sum up my opinion, I have as much faith in the Activflow as I do with the other two mentioned that are twice + the cost of an Activflow.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back