Boiler anti-scale devices, are they worth it?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm having a new combination boiler fitted. Is it worth having any types of anti scale devices to the pipework because we live in a hardwater area.

Are any products better than others.

Sponsored Links
You will need to have one fitted to satisfy the Benchmark scheme (like a boiler log book - just make sure your installer completes it fully)

Best to ask your installer what he recommends. If he is used to working in your area he will/should know which one works and which one doesn't.

you don't really need it to protect the combi as such as the temp of the water in the plate heat exchanger should never go over the temp where it would scale up. but for your taps and kettles i would have one.

and just because the benchmark asks if one has been fitted does not make it a requirement...

also if you get one, don't get one of them clip on the pipe jobs as they are a scam, get one that use siliphos like a combi mate( :rolleyes: ) or cheap ones but with the same idea

Unless your boiler manufacturer guarantees your plate heat exchanger against scale for 5 years then you will need a scale inhibitor. The only ones worth fitting are the replacable cartridge type such as the combiguard or similar, but these cartridges need replacing every 12 months with average family use.

Sponsored Links
Dave, when I went to a Vaillant training course several years ago they said that they did not want silliphos conditioners fitted to their combis because they had seen cases of a whitish jelly formed which blocks the plate HE.

Tony

Tony, I never fit any scale inhibitor device to a Vaillant as they guarantee their plate heat exchanger (parts only) against scaling up for 5 years. Their info and reps sales talk also says you don't need one.

Recently I've been getting loads of call backs to the Sentinel Combiguards that I used to fit as they are blocking themselves with their own phosphate hardening in the 15mm body. Their rep says that it is because they were not fitted at least 1M away from the boiler as indicated in their fitting instructions. What a load of tosh! Most were fitted further than this and it DOES NOT state this even in their latest MI's. They are just looking for a get out. I just return them to Plumbs as faulty and let them sort it. Bloody Reps :rolleyes:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back