Do I get rid of CWST in loft when I get a combi boiler?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

Currently got a vented system with a Potterton RS80 from way back. The setup is dated and the controls I have are limited so I've finally decided to upgrade and will probably go for an Ultracom 35CXI Combi. Currently I have a Salamander CT75 shower pump feeding the shower only. No doubt this will have to go but what I want to make sure I get right is whether I get rid of the CWST in the loft and switch the CW feed to the bathroom/shower to mains pressure. The 35CXI states HW flow rate of 14lt/min. I did a test on the garden tap off the mains and it's around 20lt/min.

If I get rid of the CWST will this balance well and be enough to feed CW to the boiler & shower? Or should I keep the tank feeding the bathroom/shower even though I think the flow rate may be low and would therefore keep the pump for the cold water only?

Thx

Sponsored Links
From storage to combi is a certain step backwards.

You lose the back up from immersion ability.
You lose water supply with mains disruptions.(frost, utility work etc)
Solar ability lost forever.
Crap flow rates with the combi!

No reason though not to fit the combi on s plan and use the combi to supply the shower only.

Sponsored Links
Ok Dom how do connect solar direct to a combi and you've just skipped the OP's storage cylinder?

With half a brain cell, the ability to think for one's self and a little imagination.

Which pretty much eliminates you in all counts.

Although a different choice of combi would, I admit, make it easier.

Just answer the question Dom and leave the insults to one side.

You've just skipped the OP's storage cylinder and fitted a combi.

How will you connect the solar panel?

The " lost forever " was only put there to reel in Dom and it worked. :LOL:
Now I can have my hook back. :mrgreen:

If you tell yourself that enough times you might obe day believe it yourself.

The rest of us are fully aware of your....

How shall we put it?

"Special" status. :mrgreen:

As someone pointed out, if you keep a CWST, you can still flush the toilet and get water for washing if for any reason the mains supply is interrupted by the utility company or by adverse conditions.

If you tell yourself that enough times you might obe day believe it yourself.

The rest of us are fully aware of your....

How shall we put it?

"Special" status. :mrgreen:

Well regardless of my special status and your dubious advice on here lets hope the OP has enough sense to retain his cylinder system as it stands.

The more I think about it the more I think my old Potterton might be fine. I may wrongly have assumed that a combi was the energy saving way forward? It's a 3 bed house and if I spend 2K and end messing with her shower my life will be over.

Put it this way. I don't need the space that the cyclinder and the CWST is taking up so maybe I should stick with what I've got and just get the controls updated. It's got ONE two port zone valve!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back