do i have a dangerous shower.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I had a 9.5kw mira sport shower fitted a year ago by a local company. the isolation switch has burned out.
the company used 6mm wire and a 40amp fuse. is it safe
the company said, because it is less than 15 metres of wire 6mm is fine.
the fuse box had two fuse for the lights, they have put the light onto one fuse and used the spare fuse for the shower. is this good practise.
the company will replace the switch but not the wire, should i be concerned.

Sponsored Links
For a 9.5kw shower that is 41.3amps.
6mm cable is rated at 40 amps.
You should really have had a 45amp fuse with a 30mA RCD.
Though it is less then 15 meters good practice and safety should really have 10mm cable.
6mm is the min of min as under the correct rating for the shower.
I would also make sure they have used a correct rated switch. (50amp).
pull cord/switch. same as oven switch.

As for the light fuse, you shouldn't bunch up cables in a fuse.

I would personally insist on the cable being upgraded.

Good luck

6mm cable is rated at 40 amps.

What reference method is that?

6.0mm² PVC/PVC cable installed to reference method 1 is rated to 46A, which is fine for this installation.

I agree that the installation would be better with 10.0mm² cable, but it there is nothing actually wrong with the present cable. (assuming ref. method 1)

You are right about the OCPD being undersized though, which should really be remedied.

Sponsored Links
Well in future don't.

That is nonsense, and it frustrates me when I see current ratings on the packaging of cables in the DIY sheds.

It does not take into account any correction factors, which could determine the safe current capacity for a PVC/PVC 6.0mm² to be anything between 17A and 51A depending on how and where it is installed, the type of OCPD, and any other correction factors which may apply.

Well you've both spent your time telling me I'm wrong. Rather than answering the posters question.

It maybe more helpful to the poster, if you offer your insight, rather than trying to look smart.

So you'd rather we just left your misinformation uncorrected, for the OP to read and act upon, rather than correcting you so the OP can act upon actual fact.

Rather than answering the posters question

I answered his question in my first post on this thread :rolleyes:

I am not trying to look smart, merely to provide facts, rather than your incorrect information.

I offered my insight in my first post on this thread :rolleyes:

These forums are occupied by people of all different levels of ability from professionals to DIY enthusiasts.

I think it's great that you correct people and provide accurate info. What bothered me was when you said
Well don't.

It doesn't cost anything to be nice. A few DIY enthusiasts I know, won't post questions on here, and definitely not attempt to offer their opinions, for fear of being shot down by the senior members.

Anyway, as I say, I agree, point out peoples mistakes but try to be decent about it.

Thanks.

I wasn't being nasty. I was just trying to point out the error of your ways.

Perhaps you read "well don't" in a more aggressive tone than the tone in which I wrote it.

Thats another problem with fora. You can't hear intenation in my voice, or see the expression on my face. Things sometimes got misinterpreted as being nasty, when they were intended to be a jovial comment.

That said, I reckon you got the message, and will not read any more cable packaging ;) :LOL:

i am really grateful for your responses, but I am no wiser, the company that installed the shower are going to replace the switch, but not the cable or fuse.
I just want to know if the shower could be an accident waiting to happen.
as I do not have a great knowledge of electrics and I am having to take the advice of the installer at face value.
many thanks :?:

We'd really need to know where the cable runs to make an accurate judgement of whether or not it's suitable in your application. Without this information the best anyone can tell you is that (providing the work was completed to a decent standard and correctly tested) there is not likely to be any immediate risk, but that's just my 2p.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back