Do I need a certificate for Full Central Heating/ Boiler Install?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My property has just had a fresh install of the following

- Central heating
- System boiler
- Unvented cylinder

Previously the property only had electric heaters

What I want to know is whether I need to obtain any certificates for this like a gas safety certificate?

I do not want to sell the house down the line then come to find out I should have obtained XYZ at the time of install.

Sponsored Links
1. Both the installation of a boiler (assuming gas for your reference to gas safety certificate) and the installation of an unvented cylinder require notification to building control.
2. For the boiler:
2a. It is normal for the installer to self-certify and notify Building Control, one of the reasons he / she must be gas safe registered.
2b. The installer must also complete the Benchmark certificate. This is normally at the back of the installation instructions manual. It must be completed for any warranty to come into effect.
3. For the unvented cylinder:
3a. Again it is normal for the installer to self-certify and notify Building Control. To self certify he / she must be a member of a "G3" accreditation scheme. Gas Safe offer such a scheme, as do a number of other bodies.
3b. And again, the installer should complete a benchmark certificate for the installation.
3c. If the installer hasn't notified building control, they will inspect the installation if asked, but will charge you several hundred pounds for the privilege.
4. Gas safety certificates are only really relevant for let properties, when the landlord must get an inspection done annually.

a couple of weeks after install you should be getting a certificate from gas safe notifying you that it has been registered with gas safe and building control you should also be getting warranty information from the manufacturer

Sponsored Links
That's brilliant. Thanks @oldbuffer and @gas112
1. Both the installation of a boiler (assuming gas for your reference to gas safety certificate) and the installation of an unvented cylinder require notification to building control.
2. For the boiler:
2a. It is normal for the installer to self-certify and notify Building Control, one of the reasons he / she must be gas safe registered.
2b. The installer must also complete the Benchmark certificate. This is normally at the back of the installation instructions manual. It must be completed for any warranty to come into effect.
3. For the unvented cylinder:
3a. Again it is normal for the installer to self-certify and notify Building Control. To self certify he / she must be a member of a "G3" accreditation scheme. Gas Safe offer such a scheme, as do a number of other bodies.
3b. And again, the installer should complete a benchmark certificate for the installation.
3c. If the installer hasn't notified building control, they will inspect the installation if asked, but will charge you several hundred pounds for the privilege.
4. Gas safety certificates are only really relevant for let properties, when the landlord must get an inspection done annually.
That's brilliant. Thank you for the response.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back