Do I Need A Reroof

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Background:

I have a Victorian terraced house with original slated roof.

Since moving in a year ago, I have had a persistent leak which no-one has been able to fix. During periods of rain, the wood at the leaking point gets wet, it very rarely drips, but it does get very wet. The wet occurs on the top sarking board, so the leak can only be there or above (ie the ridge).

The suggestions from various roofers who have been out have differed. Some say they have fixed the leak, and that the roof is fine, only to never return my call when I ask if they can come back and have another look as it's still leaking. Others suggest the ridge should be replaced and a section of the roof be reslated near the top, while others suggest that the whole thing needs reslated.

Obviously the difference in cost between these options vary massively (quote for reroof is £5100 using Spanish slate).

I have attached 3 links to photos of the roof to give you an idea of its current state. I don't know a huge amount about how a roof should look, but I know that the only visible leak is the one I mentioned above. My half of the roof is half closest to you when you look at the photo.

You can see where various repairs have been done with some kind of covering up on the ridge, where people thought the leak was.

Would appreciate if I could get your opinions on the state of the roof and whether it needs replaced, would do fine with just some tlc and tidying up etc.

Note the images are about 2Mb in size, which allows you to zoom in massivley

Thanks very much

http://www.flickr.com/photos/11636925@N07/2202899569/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/11636925@N07/2203690614/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/11636925@N07/2203689952/

Sponsored Links
Pretty confident it's the original roof, as are all of them in my terrace. Does the neighbouring one need done as well?

You might be throwing good money after bad if you keep trying to repair.

Have a new roof and you might even be able to sell the tiles to a reclaimers yard. :D

Sponsored Links
Not the news I wanted to hear, but I guess it was inevitable :(

So I guess my next problem is finding a roofer I trust.....

Hi there, i can,t see anything looking at those pictures that would give any indication that your roof was knackered?.There doesn,t appear to be any slates missing and everything looks to be in good order.I would go with stripping and reslating the top few courses where the wet sarking is,like you said though its getting a roofer you can trust?, watch out for the guys with magnetic signs on their vans. :D

I'd agree with that.

The time to re-roof is when you have more tiles in the gutter than on the roof!

There is what, 1 slipped tile?

If the leak is as you say in one place and soaks the rafter, then I can't understand why it can't be easily found and rectified. You must have picked the wrong roofers.

The roof may be old, but what is the problem - a leak in one place. Sort that out, and there is no problem. I would treat re-roofing as an option but not a necessity at this stage

Good chunky slate!
I certainly would not write it off just yet!! I noted three slipped slates, while this indicates a fixing issue you'll get a few more years out of it for little cost.. However, I have not seen a photo from the other elevation....

The very last thing you should do is sell the slate to reclaimation!!!!! To reslate your half in new spanish will look like a real mess.... If you do go down the reslate route then reuse the existing I would think they are pefectly serviceable

If you go for a re roof check and see whether you HAVE to use slates again.
If not, sell these and tile it. You can get some nice 'slate look' tiles.
Slates are a pain in the butt.

This really isn't easy. Some of you say I shouldn't replace it, some of you say I should.

I agree that doing my half, and not the neighbours, will look a bit messy, but unless they are also willing to chip in £5K, then what options do I have?

I also would have thought that fixing one leak would be easy, but unless there are absolutely no good roofers in the Stirling area, then I am wrong. There have been points when I've taken exact measurements to pinpoint where the wet patch is, with diagrams and photos, for the roofers, and still got nowhere.

My main reason for thinking a reroof is a better solution is because, after bad weather, I always lose one or two slates. I understand this is normal in old roofs, but it's pretty frustrating knowing that whenever we get bad weather we need to call out some unreliable roofer to fix (or not fix) it.....

I general, for an old, but still good condition, roof, is it normal for a little water to get in under the slates if there is wind blown rain for any period of time? If so then I guess, as you say, my roof is ok, minus the bit at the top.

And yes, I agree, slate is a pain!

Just a wee update, the reason some of the roofers have said it should be replaced is because the slates are now too small to be reused (at least nearer the top of the roof). From the photos, I would agree, and can understand it must be pretty hard to work with those.

there is a very good chance that the nails securing the tiles and lathe are on their last legs. on-going yearly maintenance can be wallet draining, as well as inconvenient.

it may cost a fair chunk of money to repair the roof. it may cost money in time off work. it may cost you money in rain damaged goods.

the risk/choice is yours.

do you bite the bullet?

i know i would.

Thanks Noseall, I am asking myself the same questions. If it wasn't for the slates coming off in the wind, I'd hedge my bets and wait, but I guess I could ask the neighbours if they want to do theirs as well :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back