Do I need a shower pump

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm renovating a property for rent and as part of that am replacing the bathroom and adding a shower. I've now stripped it and am pondering the shower situation.

The cold is mains fed, the hot gravity fed with the cold tank around 4 metres above where the shower mixer control will be fitted.

I have spent a lot of time looking at the net for ideas on how to fit a power shower solution using mains cold and gravity hot and although pressure reducing the cold and pumping the hot only are regularly suggested they are more regularly scowled at as wrong, with the consistent right answer being to fit a new 22mm cold feed from the header tank to the bathroom.

Whilst I think I can probably find a way to get the cold feed to the bathroom, it is likely to cause mess I will have to work hard to fix, so it's my least favourite solution... then I had a thought... if the head is 4metres then that's roughly .4bar... the mains is likely to be around 1bar (no idea how to measure it!) so if I simply put a thermostatic mixer in with no pump would the shower be adequate... anyone any thoughts?

Sponsored Links
renting it? put an electric one in. that way should the boiler pack in they still have hot water for a shower.it will buy you some time until you get someone out to it.

might not be what you would have in your own house, but you aint living in this one are you? ;)

Sorry, bit more info required.

First: no gas to the property, so electric heating to house and electric towel rail in bathroom
Second: pretty much impossible to get 10mm cable to bathroom (or any other suitable location) and would also mean a replacement fuseboard as there are no spares on there.

Gravity Hot + Mains Cold powerless mixer looking more and more attractive!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back