Mixer Shower Installation

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am going to be putting a mixer shower into my bathroom with a shower pump.

The pump will be installed prior to the mixer valve.

The cold feed will be from the mains supply with a pressure reducing valve fitted to equalise the wpressure difference between the cold and hot supplies.

The hot supply will be from the cylinder (surrey flanged) which is situated on the same floor as the bathroom and is gravity fed from the header tank in the loft.

The shower head will be approximately 860mm below the base of the header tank and about 1500mm above the base of the hot water cylinder.

Question is what sort of pump will i need? also is there anything I haven't thought of?

Cheers

Brian

Sponsored Links
if the showers only below the cws feed it from that rather than the mains.
saves alot of agro.

If you feed the cold from the mains and pump the hot you need a single impellor positive head pump. You must not pump the mains.

You will need to play with the pressure reducing valve on the cold to match what the pump produces. Bear in mind that the cold pressure may fluctuate if other outlets are used while you are showering ie the ball valve in the CWS.

As Karl says, better to use stored cold and use a twin impellor positive head pump. The hot and cold pressures will always be balanced. In this case the cold should have a dedicated supply from CWS.

With shower pumps, you get what you pay for. Beware of pumps without a continuous rating. Many of the cheaper ones should only be used for 20 minutes per hour.

Sponsored Links
Thought that might be the case. Will, as suggested, install from the header tank with the twin impellor pump and drop the PRV.

I'm thinking of the salamander CT50, anyone got any feedback on this pump? It has a continuous rating so should be OK and i've not seen anything bad written about these....yet.

Thanks for the advice.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back