Do I need Permision

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
If we have 3 acres of agricultural land and sell off an acre do I need permission to erect a post and rail fence to distinguis the plots.

Sponsored Links
I don't believe you need planning permission but as it is agricultural development you are obliged to submit detaisl to the local planning department. It's a procedure called 'Prior Notification'.

Agricultural is not something I’m familiar with but, I would have thought, as long as you don’t erect anything over 2m high you can divide it up as much as you like; if anyone asks just say it's to keep the sheep in :LOL:

Just had a quick look and prior notification is excluded from minor operations so you are OK.

Sponsored Links
The land im referring to may be deemed countryside would it still be ok to erect the fence ?

It might do. You need to check if the land is designated in any way; e.g. site of special scientific interest, area of ouitstanding natural beauty, land within any of the designated counties, areas specified under the countryside act, etc.

Also would i need planning permision to sell off the acre in the first place ?(divide a parcel of agricultural land )

Its so hard to find information on this sort of thing on the web.

I've fenced off several bits of agricultural land with stock fencing, it needs no permission. You can sell your land as agricultural land but a change of use to garden or stabling etc would require permission.

Thats good does anyone know were I can find the rule that states you can do this ?

Is there something like permitted development rights for agricultural land ?

Your back to agricultural land now. Thought you decided it was countryside? What you can do on agricultural land you may not be able to do in the countryside. You need to decide which it is.

No one seems to know the actual designation even the planners have no record since i can remember it has been a market garden it has ornamental trees in it and the grass has been cut.

I know its not garden for the house but whether its countryside or agricultural Im not sure.

What are the differences for the two in regards to erecting a post and rail fence?

If it's been used it's not countryside. Fencing is permitted under the GPDO Part. 1 (2) minor operations.

In my opinion ...

1 - The subdivision of land or buildings (other than those in residential use) doesn't normally require planning permission.

2 - It's normally possible to erect a wall, fence, gate, etc around a site under permitted development legislation (Schedule 2, Part 2, Class A of the GPDO) without planning permission, so long as the site is not listed. The main height restrictions are 1m above natural ground level where the means of enclosure is adjacent to a highway used by vehicular traffic (this includes adjacent to the pavement of a road) or 1m in any other case.

However, take point 1 with a pinch of salt, because it's just my impression - not something I've ever dealt with before.

:) Steve

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back