Do I need to knotseal new pine shelving?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello everyone,

I have recently bought some 18mm thick pine boards from foxdiy, and have cut 2 of them, and have one more to cut to go in the fitted wardrobe we are buiding.

The rest of the wardrobe is oak coloured, so I am going to stain the shelves to get the match closer.

I am aware with new wood work such as skirting, that you need to knotseal it, then prime it and finally gloss it, otherwise the knot bleeds through the paint.

I'm not paiting these shelves, but as they may have clothes on, is it necessary to knotseal them prior to stainging, and or either way do I need to varnish them, or 'finish' them in some other manner??

Many thanks

Dan

Sponsored Links
My own view is that you don't need to seal knots when varnishing, but others disagree. However, it hardly takes any time to do and the knotting dries quickly, so you might as well do it anyway.

You will need to varnish the shelves after staining, unless you are using a coloured varnish.

Thanks for the rpely Xerxes,

I wasn't actually planning to varnish at all, was just hoping staining would do the job, what is the requirement to varnish, is it just to make the shelves less grippy, or to protect the wood??

I shall invest in some more knot seal.

Many thanks

Dan

They are going INSIDE the fitted wardrobe. Why do anything to them? Stain may come out on clothes, and if they're inside who's going to see?

Sponsored Links
HI DAN,if you do want to stain for a smarter look u dont need to seal the knots if you do your have ugly dark shiny patches where youve applied the knotting!.as for staining you could use a stain/varnish (coloured varnish) which 1 coat will be fine for shelving,hope that helps!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back