Do i need to strip plaster before i dry line?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I have a 1903 solid wall terrace and im planning on dry lining the inside walls to improve insuration.

I am assuming i need to remove the old plaster right back to the brick before i apply the dry lining? But i thought i'd check on here first before i waste my time with a hammer and chisel.

Its a huge room so im not to fussed about losing an extra inch or so of the walls by not removing it. However i want to make sure im not going to generate an potential damp/condensation by doing it.

Any advise would be appreciate.

Cheers

Joe

Sponsored Links
i assume you are battening out the walls, so no you don't need to.
But the plaster behind the walls will decay in time, I personally would but I'm a fusspot.

I tapped some plaster in the corner to see firstly how deep it was and also how easy it if to remove. It pretty much fell off so i think i shall be doing it properly :)

Sponsored Links
also, will take no time at all with an SDS chisel, if it's bond with the wall is weak then there's no concern of damaging the brickwork with powertools.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back