Do I need underlay before laying roof shingles?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Quick question, building a log cabin at present. The roof is 19mm tongue and groove, Kingspan Tr27 and 6mm external ply. I have bitumen roofing shingles, but would like to understand if I should put some roofing underlay on before laying the shingles? Thanks for the help.

Sponsored Links
I think it's pointless using a breathable membrane 'cos it wouldn't be able to breathe.
I think breathable membrane needs to have a gap either side of it for effectiveness.

I used felt type shingles on my workshop a few years ago now, and the type of undelay and method was printed on the wrapper of the shingles.

Sponsored Links
I daresay it could be :oops:

You shouldn't really need felt under the shingles but put it if the mfr's instructions say to or you think the roof will be vulnerable to driven rain.

picked up some marley roof underlay today - in my mind it is easier to work with than felt so hopefully I will make a better job of it!

You have to wonder why some people ask for advice!

If you read the instructions for your Marley Roof Underlay you'll see that it should have counter battens fixed above it when it's used in a "fully supported" installation, ie. on sarking boards.
This is to provide an air space above the underlay so it can breathe.
You can't fix felt type shingles to counterbattens. Therefore, there is a risk that your undelay could rot due to no or little airflow, or even continuous damp.

Bitumen shingles are normally laid on a felt underlay directly onto the sub-base. i.e. ply board or similar. I would also lay a vapour barrier over the T&G board to avoid any condensation issues.

redherring2, yup noticed that when I read the marley site last night. Have now changed to a Bitumen underfelt. Thanks for the advice

Looked at a roof last week with shingles that is leaking now. It was done about 20 yrs ago and they are just nailed to the t & g no underlay some have now blown of and are brittle the pitch at a guess 30 degree's. not sure about the use of underlay if you are going to put a million holes in it.

IIRC, shingles have an expected life of 25 years, with an underlay.

You could put another layer straight on top of the first layer.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back