Do I really have to move my gas flue?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have been asked to relocate my gas flue by my neighbour, this was communicated via his solicitor. We live in a semi and it transpires that the flue overhangs his property by approx 15cm even though it exits through our house. This is due to the fence that seperates the two properties does not lie on the true centreline. The position of the fence is a seperate issue but as the flue was installed over 3 years ago when his parents occupied the house, they both died this summer, they did not have an issue with its location, does he still have a case to have us move the flue terminal?

Any info on this situation would be appreciated as I would like to avoid any legal action at all costs. In fact I'd like to avoid all costs full stop!

Sponsored Links
What did his parents die of? Carbon Monoxide poisoning?

I have a friend who forced a neighbour to move their flu. He put his solicitor on the case and they had no option but to move it.

Let's face it, if it were them stinking out your garden you'd soon tell them where to get off.

Do the right thing and stay neighbourly.

Like Joe said if there is a complaint and your neighbour wants the flue moved you will have to move it

I'ts just annoying that he's claiming its his land. If the fance was in the correct position the matter wouln't have arrisen, I had a verbal agreement with him earlier in the year that I would add an extender to manage the exaust better but that's not enough now, he want the pipe moved a foot in my direction, I just think its a little petty when the pipe obviously exits from our house and it was there beofre he took ownership.

Sponsored Links
It is annoying as you say but you still have to be carefull as where you move it to

Regulation 27(5) - flues
44 This new provision prohibits the installation of a flue, otherwise than in a safe position, and is linked to the change to reg 8(1). The ACoP commentary calls for flues to be sited so as to discharge at a safe distance from any boundary with adjoining premises, to avoid possible gas safety problems should later extensions or alterations be made to the adjoining premises.

I seem to remember there was a young boy died in the night from flue exausts through his bedroom window about a year ago. It's a serious issue that needs resolving.

Hmmmm, looks like I'll have to move it, for the sake of 1ft, hard to believe but here you go. It still doesn't get away from the fact that it sits at a little more than the minimum 300mm from the centreline of the 2 houses. That balsted fence!
I accept an ealrier point that I wouldn't like it if it were the other way around, however given the actual position of the flue I'd have just made my neighbour manage the exhaust better given the fnace situation.

If it is not too inconvenient it might be best to sort it but otherwise you
could ask Citizens Advice Bureau. Or if you have paid for legal advice with
your house insurance you may have access to a hot-line. They can be
quite useful.

You should also check your deeds to check the land ownership issue.

You could try delaying tactics till he's got fed up of paying his solicitor
and only do something when you think you might be forced to court.

It's your call though - I've watched those Nightmare Neighbour programmes
and they can get quite nasty
:eek:

joe-90 said:
I seem to remember there was a young boy died in the night from flue exausts through his bedroom window about a year ago. It's a serious issue that needs resolving.

I think you probably mean the one where the flue gases got through the floor of his room as the flue discharged into a covered passageway which was in bad condition and allowed the gases into the room.

Don't really understand where the flue is in relation to this and the neighbouring property although if it is on there property you will almost certainly need to comply.

Hmm, interesting topic,

My new neighbours recently relocated their boiler against the party wall between our semi-detached houses and a new flue adjacent to my bedroom window, now I get woken up in the middle of the night with boiler humming noises coming through the wall and a jet turbine like noise coming from the flue - it's pretty annoying and wondering how I should proceed - sorry Draig-Goch1 if this is slightly off track from your original query :oops:

grobbarg said:
Hmm, interesting topic,

My new neighbours recently relocated their boiler against the party wall between our semi-detached houses and a new flue adjacent to my bedroom window, now I get woken up in the middle of the night with boiler humming noises coming through the wall and a jet turbine like noise coming from the flue - it's pretty annoying and wondering how I should proceed - sorry Draig-Goch1 if this is slightly off track from your original query :oops:

Start a new post and provide a picture and we will tell you what you need to know. ;)

i recall solicitors letter to me about something or another, what i was told if its up in the air theres no liabilitiy.

how long has it been there was it like that when you bought it or when they moved in ect.
there brief will always say your wrong even if your in the right.

you could ignore it as it is costing them money to pursue it and they are likely to see it as to expensive to continue anyway let it cost them £3000 before work is done you wont have to pay unless its done by court order.

before you decide what to do think whether you like your neighbour or not and base it on that.

ring a solicitor many will tell you over the phone if you need to be concerned over it.

but most will say it sup in the air sod off, like my extremely good neighbours that catch the rain from my garage roof nothing they can do about it

Slow down please.

If the fence was in the correct position there would be no problem.

If you move the flue then thats an acceptance that you agree the fence line is correct !

If you dispute the fence line then dont move the flue !

The whole issue depends on the Deed Plan or better expressed the purchase registration documents. Just what do they show?

If you accept the fence line then you will have to move the flue. If you are disputing the fence line then you have to take some positive action to contest it and not just moan about it indoors but dont move the flue as that demonstrates you agree to the fence.

Its quite possible this strategy is intended to get you to confirm that you accept the fence line. Aren't the Welsh a problem!

Tony

I agree Agile, I dont want to agree to the current fence position. I have no problem moving the flue if its casuing a nuisance, but I wont relocate the whole system. I will contact my house insurance solicitors and taking there advice, in the meantime the solicitors letter that i recieved staes i have to reply within 14 days of the date on the letter which leaves me with only 7 days to reply due to the date i recieved it. I wonder if i can stall them or just ignore the letter?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back